Initial Report Green Mountain Rifle Barrels .54-120

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyga

Reaction score
I have followed this forum for some time. I thought some of you might enjoy my experience with my brand new GMRB .54-120 Limited Edition. For those of you not familiar please refer to:

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/fieldtests3.html

The rifle arrived in a plastic carrying case along with a breech wrench, ramrod extension, worm, screw, allen wrench, full plastic jackets, and 10 Barnes 325MZ bullets in the purple sabot. My initial reaction was that I had just bought a custom rifle and there was no way it cost $397 or so (including the shipping). I bought the blued version and it is a nice even matte finish. The metal to wood finish is outstanding. It is the best feeling inline stock I have ever shouldered. The stippling and shaping on the forearm as well as the stippling on the wrist really make for a secure grip. Thus my experience matches Toby's in his initial review. The one difference I found was that my bolt was not jeweled. It is a standard Knight Disc Extreme bolt, with FPJ and concave breech plug.

The trigger breaks crispy at 3lbs on my RCBS scale, exactly where I want it.

No complaints? - well a couple: the supplied ramrod is too flexible - replaced it with a Supr-Rod. The ramrod hole in the stock is finished wood and subject to chipping of the finish when you insert the ramrod if you are not careful. Another ferrule there would be a nice feature. Toby said his rifle weighted 5.75#. I don't think mine was that light - which is just fine with me. I weighed mine at 7.5#, inc scope.

Based on recommendations in this forum I mounted my scope (a Burris FFII 1.75 - 5) in Warne Maxima rings, so that I could remove the scope for cleaning - this I had to see!

Now to the range. I premeasured (by weight) BH209 charges. For the first session, I elected to do most of the shooting at the 100gr level.

Range conditions @70deg, gusty winds from 10:00 probably to 15mph or so.

1 shot to establish boresight, then:

50yd Results

100Gr BH209, Win209 Primer, Hornady .500 350gr XTP/MAG, MMP Purple Sabot - 3 shots touching .75in group

All components same, but Barnes 325MZ in purple sabot - two shots in one hole and third shot to side for 1.27" group

All comp same except Speer 300gr GD .45 in MMP red sabot - triangular 1.85" group

100yd results:

100 Gr BH209, Win209, Barnes 325MZ in purple sabot - triangular 2.1" group

120 gr BH209, same as above - 3.47" triangular group with long axis vertical

110 gr BH209, Speer 350gr .500 xtp/mag in mmp purple - 5.71" triangular group

I removed the scope and replaced to test the zeroing of the Warne Maxima rings and my last 2 shots:

100gr BH 209, Speer 350gr, .500xtp/mag in mmp purple - .97" side by side, with no shift in zero.

Sorry no chronograph data, maybe later. I have no reason to doubt Toby's results.

All of these shots taken with no wiping. This was my first experience with BH209 and I have to say I was impressed. The breech plug came out easily at the end of the day and the rifle was a snap to clean with Hoppes.

Given the gusty conditions, to say I am pleased after my first range outing would be a huge understatement. My initial inclination would be to go with the Barnes 325MZ w/100gr BH209 for my white tail load. However the 350gr Hor XTP displayed slightly better accuracy. Both bullets suffered degraded accuracy (the Barnes less so) as the powder weight went above 100gr. That is fine with me, as the extra 20 grains only buys you a little less than 100 fps and noticeably more recoil. I will need to do further work on the .54/.45 sabot, as these bullets are available a lot more cheaply and would be nice for practice, if nothing else.

As far as recoil, well as you might guess, it is pretty brisk off the bench. I shot about 10 rounds before going to the sissy pad. My brother-in-law and I both shot it offhand and it isn't bad at all from that position. I would certainly avoid a high power low eye relief scope, however.

This rifle will be my primary white tail gun. I plan to use it for both muzzle loader and regular firearms season (which means a shotgun for the parts of NH and NY I hunt). It handles beautifully, is about the right weight and size for a stalking rifle and is more accurate than my slug gun and existing muzzleloader. One might wish that it was a .50 instead of .54, but there isn't a .50 available in this compact package that feels so much like a nice bolt rifle - at least for my taste. I haven't seen much written about it, so thought you might find my experience interesting. Glen

Great, well written report--thanks

I wasn't familiar with this rifle 'til now

An excellent report on that rifle. Also I looked at the link you posted. That is a beautiful rifle. With that rifle there will be a lot of deer in trouble should they cross your path. Congratulations on the new rifle.

That BH209 is some great powder.

Initial report green mountain rifle barrel

Wow...that was one of the most concise , professional sounding reports that I have had the pleasure or reading anywhere, on any website..Thank you for sharing and good wishes with your new firearm.

Art

Update:

Since my first range trip, I have been back to the range 3 times and killed a white tail with this rifle. The white tail was a nice spike taken at 25 yds or so. The load was a Barnes 325mz (50 cal bullet) ahead of 100gr (vol) of BH209 and cci209m in the FPJ. The buck came from left to right and I had a very narrow lane in which to shoot as he crossed from this (unexpected) direction. As he came into the narrow shooting lane, he winded me or spotted me and started to break into a run. I really appreciated the quick handling of this rifle in the heavy cover and was able to get the shot off before he passed out of the lane. The hit was solid, but a little back in the lungs and liver with a broadside pass through. The buck trotted about 75yds before dropping and left a very obvious blood trail. Internal damage was massive and the exit hole was impressive.

A few things I have learned to pass on about this rifle and my load development efforts:

I really like BH209 in this rifle - but! - I was having some issues with hang fires with the lighter bullet loads (less than 325gr). I was using Win209 primers and based on the recommendations here, went to CCI209m primers. *All my hang fire issues went away with all bullet weights after switching to these hotter primers* I have heard the Fed209A is even hotter than the CCI, but haven't been able for find any. Also, as others have reported, the carbon builds up fairly quickly in the breech plug. I have been pulling the breech plug after every range session and then soaking it in brake cleaner. I have also been using the largest drill that will fit in the nipple end (one size less than .125 in) and carefully drilling out the carbon deposits. Then I relube the plug and reinstall. All I do before going to the range is fire a couple caps to make sure the plug is dried out before loading. This way, I have a seasoned bore for firing the first shot with no impact shift. Earlier on, I was cleaning the barrel after every range session and saw a first round impact shift. My plan is to leave the barrel dirty until the end of the white tail season.

Preferred loads:

Barnes .54 325MZ, 100gr BH209 groups 2-3in at 100 yds. Zero at 120 yd. Path is 2in high at 70 yds and 5 in down at 160yds. I prefer no more than 2in above line of sight because my hunting is predominantly less than 100 yds and I weight my zero accordingly.

Barnes .54 275MZ, 90gr BH209 - groups 1.5 in at 100yds. Zero and trajectory are the same as above except 5 in down at 150yds. I will use this load for the regular firearms season in NY. You don't get the penetration of the 325MZ, but the accuracy is slightly better and it is a lighter recoiling load.

Speer .45 Gold Dot 300gr, Harvester .54/45 Sabot, 80gr BH209 - groups @2in at 100yds. This is a less expensive practice load.

Win .54 400gr Platinum Tips in MMP sabot, 100gr BH209 - groups 2.5 in or so. It's a decent load, but I really like the Barnes copper bullets. I have used these bullets in my .308, 20 ga shotgun - and now inline. If you put them in the right spot, you get great expansion and penetration.

I have also played with 3f 777 with the same bullets. It lights easier with the win209 primers and accuracy is similar. I found I could probably get off 2 or maybe 3 shots before swabbing, but the 'crud ring' was there. Also, I didn't like the way the breech plug tended to lock up unless you 'cracked' it by loosening it with the wrench after every couple shots. If I hadn't previously used BH209, I would have been pretty happy to use this powder.

One interesting point with this rifle. Once I zeroed for my 325mz load, I found that all loads between 275 - 400gr and all powder weights from 80 - 120gr hit within 4in of aimpoint at 100yds. The gun seems to be very non critical as regards the load and impact point.

I plan to try conicals after the season and may play with Pyrodex and more 777 to find cheaper practice loads.

This has become my favorite hunting rifle and I plan to use it during the regular season with my 20ga as backup (the areas I hunt are shotgun/ml only). It looks great, carries light, hits hard and is pretty accurate(although I haven't seen any 1in groups). Just keep the breechplug clean and use a hot 209 primer if you are going to use BH209.

n8dawg6 if I understand the question - the price is 399.95 for stainless and 379.95 in matte blue. This includes the carrying case, package of .54 325MZ bullets, similar number of FPJs and tools/accessories. It really is a fabulous deal. Unfortunately it is hard to judge unless you can see one and they aren't carried in any shops, so far as I know.

Doh - I knew that. I'm on the road. I'll measure and post when I get home Sat eve.

Back