BH209 and very cold temps.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
My T/C Triumph and my 50cal Knight Disc Elite with 110grns of BH209, 250grn SST, short black Harvester sabot, and a federal 209A primer spent the night outside Thursday night. Thursday night was -6 degrees and right now was -3 degrees. I decided to shoot the guns tonight.

The Knight was first. The gun did go off but with a pretty good delay. I was surprised but in away not. I reloaded the Knight with a short black mmp sabot and it's back outside.

The Triumph is back in the gun cabinet cleaned and put away. No hesitation at all. I do believe so far the tighter load in the Triumph is the main difference. Saturday i will know for sure.

BTW- Both guns were still on target at 75yds.

Thanks for the report. It'll be interesting to see if cold weather really becomes an issue with BH209.

I have a tendancy to believe that it could be more of a problem with moisture than with temp. I just can't wrap my head around why the cold would cause a hangfire. Moisture (in the form of precip or condensation) working its way pass the sabot, that I get.

What do you think?

bh209

My .45 knight disc extream under equal if not worse conditions and temp. Loaded at least 2 weeks fired fine to take a doe. I believe the difference is the non FPJ. The plastic jackets hung fired from the get go even during much warmer weather. YMMD
Wayles

I really believe the tighter MMP sabot will make the difference. All knight barrels are loose in comparison to T/C. Which was excellant for 777.

I believe it has a lot to do with sabot fit and the primer used. I still need to do more testing.

I have had no issues with BH 209 in any of my guns. Never a misfire yet. 8 lbs and counting.

I also believe the Knight Extreme MHC to have a tighter bore than the standard gun.

All knight barrels are loose in comparison to T/C. Which was excellant for 777.

But isn't true that 777 is supose to be a water/condensation sponge? If that is true, then seems like the Knight loaded with 777 and a loose sabot would be more susceptible to hang fires than BH209. How about testing that Knight with 777 also?

I leave my White loaded with slip fit conicals outside frequently during cold/damp/snowy conditions but never without a condom over the muzzle and Saran wrap around the breech.

The temp right now is -7 degrees. The 50cal Knight Disc Elite went off with out hesitation with the tighter short black mmp sabot.

Would be interesting to see if you can get it to hang again with the BH209.

Okay, around 9:00am Saturday morning i reloaded my Disc Elite and left it outside again. At 4:30pm i brought it in the furnace room for more then an hour and took it outside and fired it. There was no mis-fires or delays at all. The tighter mmp sabot with the FPJ is working really well now.

Now I really confused with BH209 and cold weather.

I want to use BH209 in my Elite. I currently have the "domed" breach plug which works great with 777; but hang-fires with BH209.

I can switch back to the FPJ plug (and get more blowback), which will probably work.

Also I use the 250 Barnes MZ Expanders with the Harvestor Long Sabot, (the supplied sabot looks like the MMP HPH-12, which loads hard). May have to use the supplied sabot for a tighter fit.

Think the NFPJ conversion would give more reliable iginition with BH209 ?

Thanks... Rob

Today i was shooting my Disc Elite at the range. The red plastic jacket plug kept mis-firing. :( That really sucks. The non fpj plug worked fine last time. I dont think i'm going to use the red plastic jackets anymore.

That's really weird, I've shot close to 100 rounds out of three different Disc rifles with out so much as a sputter using the red Discs... hopefully this new bolt and plug will take care of the ignition and blow back issues.

This is discouraging news. Were you still using the Federal 209A Primers? I have not shot mine since mid December. I should do some more testing before it warms up. Like that is going to happen any time soon.

Latest posts

Back