CVA Accura - The beginning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Just came in guys and im am friggin shaking so bad with excitement over this rifle! Holy ****!!! I have never felt a trigger like this before in my life. ZERO creep/take up! All the extras they included is amazing including the filler screws for the open sights if you take them off. Im cleaning it and checking everything out now. will post pics!!

frontier gander said:
Just came in guys and im am friggin shaking so bad with excitement over this rifle! Holy ****!!! I have never felt a trigger like this before in my life. ZERO creep/take up! All the extras they included is amazing including the filler screws for the open sights if you take them off. Im cleaning it and checking everything out now. will post pics!!

Felt the same way with one of my first White rifles. Bought several more. 8)

Eeeeeasy big fella... :lol: I told ya, you shoulda did this about a year ago! :wink:

hehe, have keep that the comment I have to myself if I every want help with another gun :lol:

get out and shoot it. and when does it come up for sale lol

That's a big relief.... I did the same thing when mine arrived.... "about lose it in excitement!!!" .......would sure hate to be the only one who got that excited over a ML !!

Enjoy FG.... wait till you shoot it!!!

I have shot it 6 times today at 20+ yards. I have NEVER found a sweeter shooting rifle right out of the box! I am shooting apox 2 1/2" to the left so i will adjust once i am finish cleaning the rifle.

ZERO blowby after 6 shots, ZERO kind of soot/fouling on the frame, ZERO, not a friggin hint of fouling in the breech plug threads.

I am however getting a really good crud ring, but i can deal with it and push through. Maybe some kind of roughness thats catching it? Either way the rifle is just amazing. My heart feels like it did the first time i dropped a pair of panties :lol:

Recoil isnt even noticable with the thumbhole stock. Im not sure what the nonthumbhole feels like but this one is excellent. They even put some gripping texture in the palm swell and it works great for a non slip grip.

The thumbhole stock itself is easy to get your open sights in eye view. They come into view as soon as your cheek hits the stock. Its a comfortable thumbhole thats not to big - not to small, just right for my big hands. Very very comfortable.

Trigger is amazing, the best ive ever pulled on any muzzleloader ive owned. UC wasnt shitting me on this!

Barrel cleaned up with 3 windex/water patches ( both sides) No snagging or anything, just one clean motion down the barrel.

The ramrod is great as well but one thing that bothers me. Its aluminum and i can NOT stand the noise that an aluminum ramrod makes. I prefer flexy plastic but this one does perfectly fine for me.

Maybe i will see some fouling when i go to the bigger 444 powerbelts?

Very impressed by simple things such as the box that it came in :lol:
Accura001.jpg

Accura002.jpg

ooooooooo!!!
Accura003.jpg

Accura004.jpg

Accura005.jpg

New Quake sling also impressed me greatly over the previous designed sling that came on my Winchester X150. Very soft and flexy and does a great job at staying on your shoulder.
Accura006.jpg

First range target. By the way, this target SUCKS when you are shooting open sights.
Accura007.jpg

After 3 shots,
Accura009.jpg

Accura010.jpg

Second go round with a new target that i could see. Next time will be 100 yards off a sand bag. I was using a fence line here.
Accura011.jpg

Notice, no fouling or Residue in the BP threads. Its all on the face of the BP and the smooth section. I only finger tightened this one as the manual says to do.
Accura013.jpg

Accura015.jpg

More to come!

Way to go there FG.I always like to see someone get something that turns them on so good.I am sure you have a great rifle.
Now go love her, rub her and deck her out and show her off,LOL

Dang! that's a good looking gun! And looks to be a good shooter! Congrats on the new rifle Frontier Gander!

very nice looking rifle.. I will be watching for more reports. Now calm down or you will dry hole it for sure. :D

cayuga said:
very nice looking rifle.. I will be watching for more reports. Now calm down or you will dry hole it for sure. :D

You mean those first 2 shots on the second outing that just went. pop.... pop.. were me dry holing it? :lol: I knew i fetgots to do something before i went out that time :lol:

excitment

FG, your excitement is exactly why i keep shooting and hunting! When i lose it I will put em' up! Have fun!

Very impressive looking rifle!! One question, does the firing pin assembly come out for cleaning?

Also looks alot like the Encore set up, but I'm getting alot of blowback into the breech area. My plug is getting worn though. :huh?:

cool, but i have one question. my elite has a brake action lever next to the trigger housing. how does yours brake open?

OptimaAndy said:
cool, but i have one question. my elite has a brake action lever next to the trigger housing. how does yours brake open?

Easy! You pull the trigger guard lever and the barrel breaks open.

Toy, Yes theres a slotted screw in front of the firing pin so you can remove it for cleaning.

Toy, you can see the slot on the firing pin assembly in FG's pic

Accura010.jpg

Very simple disassembly and easy cleaning.

well 100 yards went very well. I am still learning how these sights should be used ( where i need the red dot) but the 245s and 338s are giving me a 3" group @ 100yrds. I need to get some muzzleloader primers and i believe i can shrink this a great deal. Next time out i will try 90gr Pyrodex RS and swab between shots and see how they do.

By the way, After i fired the first 338, the blowby was there. I can live with it, especially since i only shoot the 338+ when im hunting elk. The 245-295 will get the go ahead this year.

So some new primers and i should have it ready to go. The thumbhole was also great on the sand bag!

Holy smokes! I went to break the BP loose and i shocked to find that it easily came right out with no pressure. Thats the first inline ive owned that did that after 12 shots. Thats nice!

Also just unscrewed it all the way and zero powder/fouling in the BP threads. Any blowby is coming from the primer area. Hell maybe its just the primer doing the mess?

FG: A couple of things that are NOT in the owners manual about this ML:

1) I was told to expect that loads above 80 grains of T7 or so will produce sufficient pressure to force gases back thru the primer pocket and that some may also go thru the breechplug threads, especially if it is not taped... and
2) please note that between the breechplug and the receiver/action, that there is a hole drilled downward thru the barrel into a metal box welded onto the barrel that opens up under the barrel covered by the fore stock. I believe that this is to channel any super duper "over loads" that blow by the breech plug or thru the primer away from the area out in front of the shooters face. I have seen some smoke come up from my fore stock. When I ordered spare breech plugs, the factory said this was normal and to be expected at the higher acceptable pressures as described in the acceptable loads in the manual.

FYI: Mine also gets a "dirty face" from the gases escaping past the primer pocket and landing against the face of the receiver/action. (While my testing is not done, I think I am starting to settle down and use TC 209 primers, Shockwave 250gr yellow sabots, and FFg T7.) I am usually shooting 15 to 30 rounds each time at the range... the amount of buildup is minimal, and it cleans easily.

I have a 3-10x scope on mine now, and with that kind of optics, the groups are very impressive... especially since I am shooting in the sitting and kneeling positions. (Yes, I am getting ready for my now yearly trip back to Kansas!)

Glad to read that you are enjoying yours. (I love mine!) Enjoy the journey!

Latest posts

Back