OMEGA BREECH PLUG

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
Tell me how you guys are cleaning your omega breechplugs. Tricks, Tips etc. I am shooting bh 209 and having a little trouble getting mine clean where the powder sits and the flash hole. Thanks in advance for your help :oops: :!: :oops:

Brake parts cleaner and a piece of Scotch Brite. A couple minutes and i'm done. The break cleaner gets all the grease and heavy stuff off.

vision.jpg

I usually soak it in hoppes for a little then use a 1/8" drill bit from the primer end down through the flame channel. I also usually take a small bit of steel wool and clean the concave part. Then take an old toothbrush, and scrub any anti-seize off the outside and you should be good to go.

Just saw Grouse replied before me. The brake cleaner works well too!

I was doing the standard 1/8" drill bit to clean out the carbon, but I tried a new method on my Knight Disc Elite FPJ plug. I like the CVA foaming bore cleaner for cleaning out Triple Se7en crud. I figured what the heck, give it a whirl. I used a medicatino pill bottle and squirted the stuff inside the breechplug and sealed it up in the bottle. I went back a few hours later and the carbon was able to be wiped away with a rag. The drill bit went in just like it was a new breechplug. I cleaned out with a pipe cleaner and it was super simple.

AJ said:
I was doing the standard 1/8" drill bit to clean out the carbon, but I tried a new method on my Knight Disc Elite FPJ plug. I like the CVA foaming bore cleaner for cleaning out Triple Se7en crud. I figured what the heck, give it a whirl. I used a medicatino pill bottle and squirted the stuff inside the breechplug and sealed it up in the bottle. I went back a few hours later and the carbon was able to be wiped away with a rag. The drill bit went in just like it was a new breechplug. I cleaned out with a pipe cleaner and it was super simple.

Sounds good! I'll try it! I've always used the drill bit alone..

The best breech plug cleaner out there is Windex with vinegar.
This is the clear Windex. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. Then take a toothbrush and brush off the crud. The vinegar is an
acid that softens and dissolves the crud which is a base. You can sometimes see it fizz as you spray it on. Takes me two minutes to clean a really cruddy breech plug.

About every three range sessions I run a drill into the breech plug by hand to get the harder crud. Otherwise I use a pipe cleaner.

Back