Interesting day with Black MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
all shots are from 50 yards with my Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal 1:48, .80gr Black MZ, .020" spit patch, .490" round ball. CCI #11 Magnum caps. No swabbing, just using the spit patch lube like the old timers.

5 shots
IMG_0631.JPG
10 shots
IMG_0632.JPG
25 shots
IMG_0633.JPG

On those last 15 shots I did something they say never to do... Rest your barrel on something. I was using my portable shooting bench and so I swung the arm out until it was resting on the rear ramrod pipe. Zero issues with my accuracy or point of impact changing.

Todays test was to try out my knight redhot nipple as i was having accuracy troubles at rendezvous with it this year before I swapped it out for a factory nipple. Im not impressed with the 5 shot group. 10 shot was better but the last 15 shots pretty made me happy and feel better. Tomorrow I may try some 100 yard shooting with the same load and see how things go from there.

How were you resting your rifle for the first 10 shots?

its attached to the barrel. IMO the hole " dont rest your barrel on anything " is more geared towards today's modern rifle barrels which mostly are free floated.

If that is what it likes then that is what it likes. I'd take those last 1 shots ANY DAY.

Back