Trying BH 209, need a little help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogo

Reaction score
I have always been a Pyrodex pellet user but am going to try Blackhorn BH209. Can someone tell me what equipment I need to buy? I mean, scale or measure, things of that nature. Not sure how to make up loads so not to endanger myself or anyone on the range. Thanks in advance.

The gun is what is critical or maybe I should say the breach plug.
If you have a close breach TC all you need is some regular reloading 209 , I have good results with Remington STS and Winchester regular 209's. There are some other guns which you are better off to use Pyrodex in. Lee

rogo said:
I have always been a Pyrodex pellet user but am going to try Blackhorn BH209. Can someone tell me what equipment I need to buy? I mean, scale or measure, things of that nature. Not sure how to make up loads so not to endanger myself or anyone on the range. Thanks in advance.

You can weigh your charges if you want but all you need is a volumetric powder measure. I like the U-View measure that TC makes. 90g is a good starting point for most rifles. What bullets or bullet/sabot combos are you planning to shoot with it? Also, like stated earlier, use regular 209 primers and stay away from 777 primers and Remington Kleen-Bore primers. You can pre-measure you loads and place them in tubes or you can just measure it out at the range and dump it down the barrel.

You will be able to shoot continuously without swabbing so no need to worry about that. Once you're done shooting, just use some Hoppes #9 Solvent and finish with a good gun oil.

Blackhorn 209

The gun is a new T C Omega if this helps. Thanks

I plan on shooting TC Shockwave 250gr wwith super glide sabots.

Is that all I need? Just the measure from TC? I will order it tomorrow for sure!

Any other bullet/sabot combos I should try?

Let me know, I have all summer to try anything once or twice.

Thanks.

Yeah but that doesn't answer his question.

True..sorry bout that.I just purchased a measure that measures grains(30-120).It should be good to go if I do the conversion on the sticky right?

Not meaning to hijack,I just thought it relevant to this post.

rogo said:

rogo,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Blackhorn 209! I really think you will like the change from the most corrosive powder there is to the least corrosive.

I too like the T/C U-View powder measure, or Flint River knock-off.

One important thing to ALWAYS remember. Pyrodex Pellets and 777 Pellets are manufactured to be the EQUIVALENT to 100 VOLUMETRIC grains of Black Powder and Pyrodex RS. When using 777 loose powder or BLACKHORN 209, you need to reduce your charges by 15% to get the EQUIVALENT velocities of Black Powder or Pyrodex.

So, 100 grains VOLUME Black Powder, Pyrodex RS, 100 gr Pyrodex or 777 Pellets = 85 grains VOLUME of 777 or Blackhorn 209.

Just remember BH209 is far less dense than Black Powder.

100 grains VOLUME Black Powder = 100 grains WEIGHT Black Powder, This is the standard that all other powders are measured against.

BUT NOT ALL POWDERS ARE THE SAME DENSITY, SO IF THEY ARE TO BE WEIGHED, YOU WILL NEED TO FIGURE OUT THE SAFE CONVERSION FACTOR OR MULTIPLIER.

100 grains VOLUME BH209 = 70 grains WEIGHT (I get 69 grains WEIGHT average using my measures).

This would mean that you would multiply your 100 gr VOLUME charge by 0.70 (or 0.69 in my case) to get your WEIGHT conversion.

Also remember to reduce your loads by 15% first to get EQUIVALENT loads to your Pyrodex Pellets.

Example: 100 grains Pyrodex Pellets = 85 grains VOLUME (59.5 grains WEIGHT, as 85 gr VOLUME x 0.70 MULTIPLIER = 59.5 gr WEIGHT) Blackhorn 209.

If I have you confused, please ask for clarification.

Blackhorn 209

Thanks to all for your response. I will get the TC U-view measure ASAP and give BH209 a try. From all I have read I believe I will like it very much, especially the no swabbing part.

Busta, as far as percentages go I have worked with numbers all my life so no confusion on my part. I appreciate the explanation tho.

I will obtain the measure and some Blackhorn and get to the range as soon as I have the supplies. I will let you all know how it works for me. Thanks again to all!

My Omega shoots real well with the Short Black Harvester sabot and the 250 gr bullet it likes 110 and 120 gr of Blackhorn.
It will not shoot good with the Super Glide sabot I know of several others that do not shoot well with that sabot and one that does. Lee

Just remember while BH209 itself may be non-corrosive, any residue left in the bore can trap moisture behind it, if it is humid I would recommend cleaning with either Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend or Hoppes #9 as soon as possible after shooting. Once fouling is removed protect the bore and exterior of the rifle with a good oil such as Montana Extreme Gun Oil or Break Free CLP.

You will also want a 1/8" drill bit to clean the 209 primer carbon out the flame channel down to the flash hole. Just turn it by hand, not in a drill. You may want a couple smaller ones to work up to the 1/8", I have some with the quick connect hex that you can drop into a hand driver, they work great.

Your Omega with the 250 gr Shockwaves should absolutely love this stuff. Just remember to get a good hot 209 primer like was mentioned previously.

Read the instructions on the bottle and information at http://www.blackhorn209.com/ .

If you have any questions, there are a lot of good people here to help you out. Enjoy the shooting without having to swab after each shot. :D

Re: Blackhorn 209

rogo said:
.......................................................I plan on shooting TC Shockwave 250gr wwith super glide sabots......................

Any other bullet/sabot combos I should try?.......................................

My Omega has a tight barrel and likes the Harvester Crush Rib Sabot. Other folks use the smooth Harvester and MMP sabot. You could try Harvester crush rib sabot with those shockwave bullets. You could also try xtp, and gold dot bullets with the crush rib sabot. If you purchase bullets and sabot separately you should get more bang for your dollar.

Here are some sabot:

http://www.grafs.com/product/230201

http://www.grafs.com/product/230200

Here are some gold dot in stock:

http://www.grafs.com/product/250923

My omega and anywhere from 80-110 gr of BH 209, a 250 gr SST and a MMP short black sabot shoot just over an inch at 100 yards. I don't think I can shoot much better than that. BH209 has made this gun my primary hunting weapon. I use regular Win 209s.

Latest posts

Back