Wed range trip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minst7877

Reaction score
Went to the range to try out some new bullets that I just received. Weather was lousy wind rain poor visibility. Set up under a roof overhang and shot 70 yards. Gun was a Knight 45cal Disc Extreme with knights nfpj plug. Considering the conditions looks like some of these need some further tweaking. Don't know what happened with the chronograph readings were weird. It might have been picking up the sabots. All rounds shot with 110gr volume BH 209

First up was the 175gr Knight Red hot.

175Barnes.jpg

This is the note sheet from the Red Hot Bullets

4-7-10notes002.jpg

Next up the 195gr Red Hot

195Barnes.jpg

Next was the 185gr Lehigh.

4-7-10notes001.jpg

With blue Harvestor Sabot.

185Lehighblue.jpg

With Tan Knight Sabot.

185LehighTan.jpg

DC

Could the chrono be set on meters per second?

Someday i will get some of the 45 Redhots. until then i will use the Barnes 155gr TAC-XPs. Kinda light but just fine until about 120 yards.

I missed out on the last sale Cabelas had on the 195gr Barnes Spitfire type flat base bullets. They sure do look good.

Try upping the charge a bit on the Lehighs. They really like the max load that the sabot will handle IMO.

Thanks for the range report since we have very few 45 inline enthusiasts.

Scott

minst7877

I believe you are correct about your clock reading sabot speeds. When i first tried to find muzzle velocity of my muzzle loader i was some surprised at how slow the 'bullets' were traveling. It seems the sabot separates from the bullets right now, after they leave the barrel. My chrony displays the speed of the last bullet through

What i do is set the chrony out about where i no longer see sabot laying on the ground. Then i range the distance, and use a ballistic program to work backwards to the muzzle velocity. Near 20 yard out works for me.

It's possible it could be but the first shot to foul the bore read something in the 30fps range. Played with it and got it to read higher but I could only get it out about 5 to 6 feet in front of the gun and keep it out of the weather. Still think its the last thing thru which would be the sabots.

Next time out the lehighs will be run up with 120 & 130 to see what happens with them.

DC

Saxman

That shooting record was done in a excel spreadsheet by a fellow over on dougs. He e-mailed it out to anyone who wanted it. I got a copy of it and made a couple small changes to get it to fit my needs better. If you have excel and would like a copy of the file let me know.

DC

Latest posts

Back