Info on T/C Omega Z5

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoelks

Reaction score
Got a really good deal on a clean, used, Omega Z5 from a pawn shop. I removed the breech plug before buying, checked the bore and it appears the rifle hasn't been fired much and taken good care of. Does anyone out there have a pet load for this rifle and a suggestion for the best bullet ? It'll be used for deer hunting and recreational target shooting. Maybe a black bear or a elk later on. Thanks.

200 gr SST blue harvester sabot and 100 gr BH209 shot good from my Omegas..also 240 gr XTP with MMP Ez load sabot was very accurate with 2 100 gr pyrodex pellets or 85-90 gr of loose pyro RS or select.

I have the Z5 with T-hole stock.
3x T7 pellets, 2x Magnum pellets, or 120grs volume with either loose T7 or Pyrodex RS and a 250 Hornady SST is a hot damn at 100 & 200 yards with my Nikon Omega scope. Same goes for a 250gr Barnes TMZ. With a Hdy .44cal XTP 240gr and 100grs of of loose T7 tears a nice hole in the target at 100. As a matter of fact I’m going shooting tomorrow with my Omega Z5, I’ll post pics.

Getting on this topic late, as I just got a used one in good condition from a local pawn shop... After the initial clean up etc, took it out to shoot. The Bushnell 3x9x40 scope I had in the garage (forgot why it was there) well at the range I kept hitting low and left about 8" at 25 yards :rolleyes: using 240-gr XTP in Hornady green sabots... no amount of adjustment would fix the problem. Got home removed the most likely cause of the problem.... I'll go back with just using the open fiber optic sights.... and scope it later.

Silent Walker, I found something with my TC Omega that you shared in one of your posts.
i shot a Hornady 240gr XTP .44 darn near into the same hole as the Barnes 250gr TMZ.
loose T7 was used.
I then tried Pyrodex RS and same results.
Always nice to not have to make adjustments ;)

I remembered a YouTube video I ran across about improving the accuracy group size in a T/C Omega Z5. when mounting the barrel & action back on the stock he would tighten the screw closes to the trigger guard first. Simple idea and seem to work for him and his friend. Anyway here's the video link:

Silent Walker, I found something with my TC Omega that you shared in one of your posts.
i shot a Hornady 240gr XTP .44 darn near into the same hole as the Barnes 250gr TMZ.
loose T7 was used.
I then tried Pyrodex RS and same results.
Always nice to not have to make adjustments ;)

Sgt Recoil, I did find out that my scope was way off, and redical cross hairs were out of adjustment.... more testing will be done with a new scope.

My Omega is rocking the Nikon Omega scope. Designed just for it ;)
It has the Nikon BLC reticle which for me works very well for target acquisition and holdover. However I’ve never had to holdover or use the ballistic reticle for anything over 100yds. But it’s nice to have the ability.
a91AF9C62-4A34-4109-B5E8-FD7A6A211C9A.jpeg

My Omega is rocking the Nikon Omega scope. Designed just for it ;)
It has the Nikon BLC reticle which for me works very well for target acquisition and holdover. However I’ve never had to holdover or use the ballistic reticle for anything over 100yds. But it’s nice to have the ability.
a

Nice line up of guns!

I more or less have that many TC sidelocks for spare parts if ever needed. 🤣
I sold my TC 209x50 Endeavour a few years back as I could not get it to shoot as well as the Omega, Plus it was a lot heavier.
I found the “hinge-action” bp guns less accurate but we are only talking a few inches here lol.
However, I do have a earlier blued 209x50 Encore bbl that needs some work, pitted bore and breach plug was seized in. Previous owner was unaware of cleaning requirements with bp and bp substitutes.
I’d like to see if my .50 Maxi-Hunters will shoot decent enough out of it. 😉

I agree with Hatchet Jack, Omega was one of the most accurate with " unmentionables", I shot both maxi-ball and maxi-hunters with mixed results. You might try Lee REAL bullets also if you want to stay all lead.

Got a really good deal on a clean, used, Omega Z5 from a pawn shop. I removed the breech plug before buying, checked the bore and it appears the rifle hasn't been fired much and taken good care of. Does anyone out there have a pet load for this rifle and a suggestion for the best bullet ? It'll be used for deer hunting and recreational target shooting. Maybe a black bear or a elk later on. Thanks.
In my two .50 cal's I like to shoot Hornady 300 gr SST's and Barnes 290 gr TEZ's. They will both waylay any deer ,elk and bear. I shoot BH209. Typically I use about 100 gr by volume.
If you decide to shoot full bore lead conicals just beware of the QLA on your Omega. You may need to use sub bases or triple up some wool wads between powder and bullet.
The Omega is a pretty easy gun to clean overall. Just make sure you clean the threads out good and use a good BP grease.

I had today off so I set out to make some T7 smoke 💨
It was warm out, like 27C (80F). That’s pretty warm for up north here lol. My plans were to shoot 1 each (Hornady, .44/240gr XTP, Hornady FPB and Barnes TMZ) with 100grs volume of loose Triple 7 ( No I haven’t jumped on the Blackhorn wagon yet, have several lbs of T7 and Pyrodex RS).
All shots were at 100yds.
I realized when I got out to my shooting spot I forgot the TMZ’s but did have some pre-loads with 250gr Hdy SST‘s on hand. All first shots except the FPB hit within the bull the FPB hit sideways (pic#3)so enough wth that. I stopped there and switched to 300gr XTPs. Because I had Hogdon mag T7 pellets in my preloads I decided to try a 3 shots with those then finished off with 100grs loose of Pyrodex RS.
I was quite happy with my results.
These TC Omegas are a good bang for the buck. The only improvement I might consider is a Boyd’s stock. But until then I am good to go with this set up.
I packed up when I had to wipe the sweat off my brow too often lol.
3B0D5D00-B72F-451C-9161-96C86FC8D943.jpeg455668A7-8A9F-489F-A878-4970E9BB8516.jpeg4C22EB79-CF4C-4B3D-BC0B-1EA8720B3873.jpegA65CA8C2-5285-4B7C-A855-B1F1CFF7A411.jpegC9FAB7D7-A75B-4A46-B78F-B17476D70866.jpeg

Last edited:
You need to try some Powerbelt bullets. I shoot them out of my Omega, and with two 50gr pyrodex pellets, or 80gr T7 you should get much better groups. I would never accept those groups you pictured.

You need to try some Powerbelt bullets. I shoot them out of my Omega, and with two 50gr pyrodex pellets, or 80gr T7 you should get much better groups. I would never accept those groups you pictured.

LOL. Those groups are one bullet type ie; XTP for target #1, SST target #2 and so on. I shot one bullet with a different powder/pellet charge (T7, Pyrodex, Pellets) for specific target, if I were to shoot a 3 shot group with each charge at each target the groups would clump together as expected,Each hit the same general area each shot Per target . Comparing each target side by side those are respectable groups. ;)
Look at second last target
I tried the FPB which look to have tumbled.
Not a fan of Powerbelt. I like to take advantage of under-bore sized projectiles for my inline.44E72EED-ECF3-42A3-A016-7662FA220BCA.jpeg

Understood.
But, I lived near the T/C factory in NH, before they sold and moved to Mass.
I was having trouble sighting in with sabots and brought my gun into the repair dept. to get it checked out. I described my issue with the gunsmith in person. He whispered that I should try Powerbelts. He said all of T/C's muzzle loaders shoot them great. I tried them and they worked , and I never looked back.
Just my .02 worth.

Sounds you like you found a projectile that works for your Omega. Like mentioned previously, these bp guns aren’t fussy with what they shoot. Except of course the Hornady 350gr FPB which struck the wood target board sideways, I’ll continue to shoot these from my Renegade is which are pretty accurate .

Back