T/C Omega Z5

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psa

Reaction score
Just bought a T/C Omega Z5. Anybody have a good load for the .50 cal I should start with? Thanks in advance.

Just bought a T/C Omega Z5. Anybody have a good load for the .50 cal I should start with?
200 grain T/C Shockwave over 110 grs. Triple Se7en FFg loose powder. :yeah:

Congrats on your Z5

I got one in November and love it. Took three deer with it this past season with 2 pellets of 777 and the 250gr Hornady SST bullets. My rifle shoots these bullets very accurately.

This year I am going to loose 777 and different bullets for a better bloodtrail than the SSTs were giving me. You can buy pistol bullets like Speer Gold Dots and Hornady XTPs far cheaper than buying the bullet/sabots in the 10 packs.

One word of advice - the Omega's have a reputation for having barrels that are very tight with .451-.452 bullets and sabots. If this is the case with your gun, order some HPH-24 sabots from MMP. These are thinner and easier to load in my gun.

www.mmpsabots.com

Good luck.

Mouthcaller

Re: Congrats on your Z5

mouthcaller said:
You can buy pistol bullets like Speer Gold Dots and Hornady XTPs far cheaper than buying the bullet/sabots in the 10 packs.

thats the truth. 100 mmp sabots and 100 xtps (250 grain .452) just cost me a total of about $26 from midsouth. not to shabby compared to the $20 for 20 shots u pay for a lot of pre-packaged bullets

n8dawg6

Sometime when you get a chance try those Speer Gold Dots... They are bonded and the 250 grain is devastating on whitetail.

I have shot a bunch of them at paper and they really do shoot well.

sabotloader, do you shoot those bullets in your white? technically the white ultra mag should have the same twist rate as the lightning i have (1-24"), but the lightning has been shooting saboted 200 grain bullets so incredibly poorly, id be amazed to see a marked improvement if i moved to 250 grain bullets.

im betting that those 250 grain bullets will work pretty well in the mk-85, tho

Better bullets

I must agree that the muzzleloading bullets should be offered in at least
a 30 to 50 count box. The Hornady box with just 20 is not enough. I am forced to use the Cabela's 30 count bulk Shock Wave and just buy the MMP-12 from MMP seperately.

With the cost of copper and zinc (principal bullet metal) going up this fall's
bullet prices may become like gas pump shock.

I have no complaint with the Hornady or Shock Wave ( same bullet)
on deer size game but I keep velocity below 2000fps If you need more blood on the ground try the Barnes....maybe you won't need to trail at all.

I believe if you exit or impact velocity is close to 2200fps to 2300fps
a bonded or pure copper (barnes) bullet will ensure a clean kill or better yet a recoved Deer. :lol:

Re: Better bullets

choc-dog said:
I must agree that the muzzleloading bullets should be offered in at least
a 30 to 50 count box. The Hornady box with just 20 is not enough. I am forced to use the Cabela's 30 count bulk Shock Wave and just buy the MMP-12 from MMP seperately.

With the cost of copper and zinc (principal bullet metal) going up this fall's
bullet prices may become like gas pump shock.

I have no complaint with the Hornady or Shock Wave ( same bullet)
on deer size game but I keep velocity below 2000fps If you need more blood on the ground try the Barnes....maybe you won't need to trail at all.

I believe if you exit or impact velocity is close to 2200fps to 2300fps
a bonded or pure copper (barnes) bullet will ensure a clean kill or better yet a recoved Deer. :lol:

If you like the SW's in the 30 ct. you ought to try Midsouth Shooters Supply. THey have'em for $11.48 per 30, shipping is cheaper also. A little better than Cabelas $13.99. I ordered two boxes this morning myself.

Back