Plinking with the round ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkhunter

Reaction score
Do any of you just plink with the roundball? If so what sharge do you use?
What kind of accuracy do you get as well?
Earlier this week I was shooting and my best was an 1 1/4" grouping and wondering how I might expect to shrink them a bit, if at all.
With a 1:28 twist of the Omega I was told that holding a group would be tough. They shot as well as my Shockwaves :shock: :shock:

When I shoot roundball I usually use my roundball rifles although I have shot them out of my inlines with excellent accuracy. One of the best roundball shooters I have actually is my Knight Wolverine LK-II. I think that's because the rifle is scoped and my roundball rifles are not. Face it, scope a rifle, you see better. You see better, you shoot better groups.

I think the advantage of the roundball rifles VS the inline rifles is when you get to longer ranges. Since I can push the roundball rifles much harder in the powder charge, for hunting, they would be a better choice for long distance shooting.

The trick I found with the faster twist inline rifles is not to push the ball too hard. Keep the powder charge low. I usually run 50-60 grains of Goex 2f or 3f a wonder wad and a patched .490 roundball.

I've actually used the Wolverine to small game hunt. I was shooting squirrels on afternoon with it. And a few bunnies. If you want, next time try some of the ball-ets made by Buffalo Bullet company. My Wolverine really likes the 270 grain Ball-ets which is all my one friend uses to deer hunt with... It must work because he takes a deer with his very old Wolverine and a ball-et every year.

cayuga, speaking of scopes, how ya liking that prostaff 2-7x? mine, originally intended for the s91, just got mounted on a ruger m77 . . . now i hafta order another one for the s91 (hope it doesnt get sidetracked too :D ).

im looking at working up a rounball load for my mk-85 for plinking. tried a load w/ 777, but i was having a hard time getting it to print on paper. i think there may be a problem with the scope on that rifle, but im not sure. requires further experimentation

I've only shot the Pro Staff once so far. And I am impressed with the clarity and eye relief. In fact I was going to go shoot again in just a little while.

That's the trouble with a good rifle and a good scope.. You just feel the need to mate them..

Shooting roundball through a 1/28" in-line is not a myth.I had a Tradition E-bolt 209 in 1/28" and downed a nice 7 pointer whitetail in his track at 85 yards using 80gr. of tripple 7.Now just waiting to try my roundball on my new Knight disc extreme.Will let you know the performance.
Black Bull

I shot both with 50 gr FFg, actually just to see how much thump it might have for my daughter who is 9 and then at 70 gr. FFg. Both shot well with about the same.
Even though illegal here in NY I would like to work up a load so that I can travel to hunt turks with the old round ball. I am hoping that a 50gr charge is enough to send them tumbling backwards to their death.
The problem with the rb is that it is robbed quickly of energy so I may have to keep it a little higher.
I need to scope this gun. Without a scope working up good loads is next to impossible.

Adkhunter said:
I need to scope this gun. Without a scope working up good loads is next to impossible.

have ya considered a nikon prostaff? :D

LOL. Actually I have. I think GWSmith has one but I'm not sure.
I take it you highly recommend it for the ML?
I am a 6x power guy so I'm really not interested in using it at any other magnification but I am interested in the variable for it's ability to be used on other guns in the future.

http://www.ultout.com is where you will find the best price on the Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm. I really like the scope because of the almost 4" eye relief and the small size of it. It fits any rifle and so far has been a real joy for holding true.

I mounted mine with some Warne QD rings on Weaver bases. A real nice set up.

50 grains of powder and a roundball has a lot of take down power. A lot more then people would give credit to. In the old days, when powder was scare, and lead was valued as well, 50 grains of powder and a lead ball was a common load. I have a book by Dan Davis and in it, he talks about hunting with a flinlock and his favorite .50 caliber load of 50 grains of powder and a patched roundball for deer. I would think you better get close and have excellent shot placement, as with anything you shoot.

ive been raving (or rather "ranting") about the prostaffs over at the dwb forum. i have a 4x model and the 2-7x model. while they are not necessarily the sharpest, or the clearest, they are the sharpest and clearest you'll get for around $100. they are also very compact and have generous eye relief (i really like that). i hunted with the 4x last year on my disc elite, and it worked great, even in low light during the evening. in my opinion you are getting more scope than the price you're paying. you can almost get two prostaff 2-7x's for the price of one leupold rifleman 2-7x (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with the rifleman, leupolds are some of the best).

also, from a reliability standpoint, the prostaffs are premium scopes. mine are holding their zero perfectly, and they are very quick to sight in. oh yeah, and lifetime warranty

Currently I have 3 different scopes on weapons of mine.
Tasco 3-9x40 Nikoplex reticle(Weaver solid base and rings)
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 Nikoplex reticle(Leupold solid base and rings)
Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x40 Nikoplex reticle(unkown/unmarked split bases and rings that came in outfit package)

I think you'll be quite suprised at the "In Field" results.

I've found that, believe it or not, during the daytime an inexpensive Tasco 3-9x40 nikoplex reticle actually beat the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 for clarity....Maybe I got lucky I dont know.
Where the Nikon Prostaff showed its monetary worth at the sporting goods store register was in very low light conditions. When I could see a deer but could not quite make out what it was...the Nikon made it look like it had lights on it! I'd go off the scope and look with the naked eye and could'nt tell what it was.
In my case I actually was able to notice very little difference in light gathering capabilities between the two scopes during Legal shooting hours.
The Bushnell Scope has not been tested under hunting conditions yet but it surely will be! I can not tell the difference between any of my other two scopes at this point and the Bushnell scope.

IMHO...This difference IS something to take note of:
With the Nikon Scope when I adjust the scope on the range it moves. It moves exactly the distance I adjust it to.
With the less expensive scopes...sometimes they move and sometimes they dont! Recently while paper training the Bushnell, and much earlier paper training the Tasco, I have found it necessary to "Tap" the adjustment screw after moving it to ensure that it has moved. Without doing so there has been occassion that they "Stick" and do not adjust correctly. After "Tapping" they move the correct amount every time.

Crosshairs not moving

The issue with your crosshairs not moving may be a problem with your rings. If they are not exactly aligned they will actually bend the scope and the result in your scope not functioning properly. You can tell by loosening one of the rings and if the scope rises off the ring at all, therein could be your problem. Reaming of the scope rings can cure this condition.

Back