Bonded Shock wave performance...(Graphic)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
On Saturday morning Craig, Noug, and I all hunted with Daniel and two of his guides on a property that adjoins the Loshboughs land. This particular land appears to have been clear cut a few years ago and is composed of rolling "hollers" covered in thick brush and pricker bush.

Basically, this is the type of land that is perfectly suited for a "hog drive". While the hunters would post stands at the top of the hollers, the guides would beat the brush in an attempt to get the hogs moving out of the brush.

The real benefit to hunting this terrain was the opportunity to be presented with rather long shots when measured by Loshbough standards. In fact the three longest pig kills were all taken in this location, and all were around 100yds or longer.

After working through about half of the clear cut I saw the guide flagging that he had seen the hogs. I quickly located about 5 hogs moving up the hillside on the opposite side of the hollow. Before I could even get the pigs in my scope I immediately heard a shot from my right. The pigs quickly split up and headed out of sight. However, it was clear one of the pigs had been hit and it eventually stopped a few feet from where I had first spotted it. Craig had shot the pig with a off hand shot at close to 100yds.

Shortly there after,Nugbuk and Craig took two more hogs as they moved back down through a steep draw.

Eventually we located another pig far down in the bottom of the clear cut. At this point the hog was likely over 175 yds away and moving fast through the brush. While I was able to get the sights on him briefly I was not presented with any shots as he was simply moving to quickly.

In anticipation that the pig might try running up the opposite side of the hollow I was located on I quickly moved to find a clearing that might provide me with a clear shot over to the next hill. Just as I got to a good spot I saw the hog start moving up the hillside. I quickly took a seated shooting position and found the hog moving through the brush with my Conquest 3-9x40 set on 9x. The hog continued running across the hillside before eventually turning up the slope in an attempt to crest over the hill. Just as the pig turned up the hill it stopped to check its back trail. At this point the hog was facing straight away from me and was slightly higher on the opposite hill than where I was located. Realizing the hog was only a short distance from cresting the ridge I decided to take the shot, aiming for the center of its back just below the shoulder blades in expectation that I would take out the spine and the bullet would travel forward into the lung cavity.

I would estimate the shot to have been between 85-100yds. Shooting 41.5 grs N-110 with supplied sabot my load was later chronographed in the 2325 fps area. This load was sighted in to be dead on at 50yds and would be a touch low at 100yds.

Upon pulling the trigger I immediately saw the bullet strike resulting in the appearance of a fine mist exploding off the hog. The hog collapsed at the shot and let out a series of squeals before attempting to rising. After making a brief attempt to get to its feet it became quite clear the hog was not going anywhere and it expired a few minutes later.

Upon finally arriving at the pig I was extremely shocked to say the least...
While the bullet had struck the hog slightly lower than my point of aim. (Craig believes he saw the hog move just as I shot), It was clear that from the angle I had shot that the bullet would likely have pushed through its back into the bottom of the hogs sternum where the heart is located. However, instead of finding the hog with a clean entrance wound I found the hog with a gaping wound in its back just above the rear hips. In fact a large section of the spine was actually completely missing!!

After gutting the hog and looking for a bullet and an exit would I was not able to find any signs of either. In fact there was no bullet damage what so ever to any of its internal organs that I could see.

After considering what I found numerous times I can only come to one conclusion....The bonded shockwave virtually evaporated upon impact and what fragments remained deflected at 90 degree angles of impact, never travelling forward into the body cavity...

(Pictured here is the entrance wound...!!!)

110_1004.jpg

(The entrance can be seen as the depression in the hogs back just above the hams in this pics.)
109_0995.jpg

Hey Jeff!

Good writeup! That bonded shockwave sure stopped that pig in a hurry! Some may say that the bullet failed but the only thing for sure was that your little piggy is dinner!

My Bonded Shockwave experience was very similar. My load was 40gr of N110 and a 250 bonded with an HPH 24... Shot at about 40 yards, my shot entered behind the shoulder and never exited. The best I could tell it never touched the inside rib cage on the opposite side. The entrance was good sized and the internals were tore up pretty good. I gutted the hog myself in search of the mushroomed bullet.. .... nothing was found :cry:

Chuck helped me with the surgery and Tom has a pic of it somewhere... maybe Tom can post the results of my bonded shockwave.

In the future, I will most likely pass on the bonded line and shoot the regular Shockwaves.

While the results were clearly not what I expected...neither was the shot placement. However the results were just fine...:lol:

I have to assume that the bullet entered the spine and then essentially "skipped " off the bone. That is what caused the enormous wound. Regardless, it obviously required alot of bone to stop that bullet, and any animal that was wounded that bad would surely not live long.

While all the hogs shot with the bonded shockwave were recovered, I think I'll stick with the Barnes all copper "X" bullet. I know that it'll get excellent penetration!

Blue-Dot-37.5

To tell you the truth, I just didn't see the performance I expected out of the 250gr Bonded Shockwave. In fact I didn't see performance THAT much different from the REGULAR 250gr Shockwave.

big6x6 said:
To tell you the truth, I just didn't see the performance I expected out of the 250gr Bonded Shockwave. In fact I didn't see performance THAT much different from the REGULAR 250gr Shockwave.

From what I have read concerning the standard shockwaves performance, that is exactly what I got... :(

In fact, I only took the shot because I felt the bullet could safely handle bone without completely fragmenting...obviously I was wrong.

That settles it then.....The original Shockwave will and cannot be eclipsed by the fancy smancy "Bonded" Shockwave.

I have found the original to be more accurate than the new bonded version anyway! At least in my guns....so IMO, not worth the trade off.

The proof is in the pudding.

Spitpatch said:
That settles it then.....The original Shockwave will and cannot be eclipsed by the fancy smancy "Bonded" Shockwave.

Even after this experience, I am not read to jump to any conclusions. I am willing to give them another chance before I give up on them...

They may not be much better than the SST's, but I highly doubt they are worse... :wink:

Even after this experience, I am not read to jump to any conclusions. I am willing to give them another chance before I give up on them...

I'm kinda where you are on this. If the REGULAR SST/Shockwave is GOOD...hopefully the BONDED variety is better, at least in the weight retention department. We really need to pop a couple of whitetails with a Bonded Shockwave to see how they do. But lets face it...out of two hogs, yours and JJs, it looks as if we would have either found an intact bullet OR found an exit wound. The T-Shock XLR may in fact be a better performing bullet than the Bonded Shockwave. Then there is the T-MZ. I believe I'm going to concentrate on the T-Shock and the T-MZ a little more for this coming whitetail season..

big6x6 said:
I'm kinda where you are on this. If the REGULAR SST/Shockwave is GOOD...hopefully the BONDED variety is better, at least in the weight retention department. We really need to pop a couple of whitetails with a Bonded Shockwave to see how they do. But lets face it...out of two hogs, yours and JJs, it looks as if we would have either found an intact bullet OR found an exit wound. The T-Shock XLR may in fact be a better performing bullet than the Bonded Shockwave. Then there is the T-MZ. I believe I'm going to concentrate on the T-Shock and the T-MZ a little more for this coming whitetail season..

1).As it currently stands I will definitely give the bonded shockwaves another chance on a whitetail

2).The more I consider what happened to my bullet the more I believe it deflected off the spine and never entered the body cavity. In light of the damage it did it still did a good job considering it looks like it never actually went in the animal. This may just be a case of a 1:100 shot.

3)The T-shock seemed to perform perfectly for you...

Del, I have a question... First, I'll be more than willing to admit my lack of knowledge on this subject but I've been told from my earliest days on this and other boards that the way to go with the 10ML is with the hph sabot. While they have shot well with a few loads in there manufactured length, many loads have shot far better when the sabot is trimmed back. When talking to some here, they have suggested I go to your short black standard sabot. Can you tell me what my limitations are here? I?m not looking to set land speed records in fps but would like to simplify the process. As always you support for this board and input on it are greatly appreciated.

I said about as much on the Green Board. I wouldn't give up on the bullet, but, clearly, it's not going to perform like a Barnes bullet or even a Partition or A-Frame. Maybe I was expecting too much from the beginning.

Whether it skipped off bone or not, the bullet fragmented on impact.

Latest posts

Back