IMR White Hots.....................New Information Added...Last Post

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapper444

Reaction score
Is any one shooting thse pellets iam having excellent results with accuary& ease of cleaning

i've shot them before with great accuracy. I still got a real good crud ring but the fouling was softer than T7 so i could push through it.

I shot them the last time and I had a hell of a time cleaning my gun. I going to try blackhorn 209 and stick with it. It was just too dirty for me.

A friend of mine used to use them but he indicated that he had ignition trouble with them more often than he liked and that it cost him several kill shots where the 209 went pow but the rifle never went boom. He went back to 777.

IMR White Hots

I love my White Hots. They give me 1" groups at 100 yards and are much cleaner than other pellets. There's still a crud ring but it's softer and easier to clean. The White Hots also make less smoke when fired from my ML.

I tried a box full once and found the accuracy to be there but I also found I had a lot of cleaning to do.
Like FG said the crud real was still there but softer material to clean than usual.

I just can't see using them. I don't have any crud ring with BH209.....I NEVER HAVE TO SWAB....it's not a case of being a little cleaner than something else, it IS the cleanest, period. It cleans with regular gun solvents, it is not affected by moisture, it has an indefinate shelf life, & when you compare the price of any pellet vs BH 209 lb for lb, BH209 is a LOT cheaper.

The only exception that I understand is if you have a rifle that's ignition system is not designed for BH209, or if it's not available to you.

I was interested when they came out but was waiting to hear what others said about their performance before buying any (costly) and I was using T7,fffg which cut the crud ring down . But if I was gonna use loose powder I just figured might as well use the BH 209 it had all the benefits with no downside other then not available in pellet form. I still watch for new posts about the WH's to see if they ever overcome the crud ring because I hate trying to reload on a hunt on a real windy day even with Lanes tubes I still manage to lose some.

IMR white hots are nothing more than very expensive 777 in pellet form, they even skip the process of dying the granules black. IMHO a total waste of money.

jeepman said:
IMR white hots are nothing more than very expensive 777 in pellet form, they even skip the process of dying the granules black. IMHO a total waste of money.
I agree, and not dying could be the reason it's a bit cleaner.

I just plain did not like them. Can't shoot something if the confidence is not there.

Never tried them Im bh209 user but I want to give them a try one day. :bounce:

IMR White Hots

I am still wondering where the "CRUD RING " is in my Optima ? The White Hots are doing great & it its not broke then don't try & fix it Use what you are comfortale shooting . I tried The 777 Magnums & they WOULDN'T EVEN FIRE the primers were the same Wolf 209 the only thing i changed to fix the problem was to put 3 White Hots down the barrel Problem solved isntant every time i do wonder what was the matter those 777 Magnums are good pellets from what i have read& others have posted ??? PUZZLED

Blackhorn 209 Finally Tried It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally tried the Blackhorn & to be honest i would have been just as well off using dirt in my rifle its not for me but if it does good for anyone more power to ya iam staying with what is working for me .White Hots . and as for the White Hots costing a bundle i can buy them at Midsouth for under $18 .What i do when Iorder my yearly smokeless powder & primers I put 2 or 3 boxes on my order i have to pay the $25 HAZ-MAT fee anyway . The White Hots are $28.99 at our local gun shop & he orders from Midsouth the same as i do i saw the invoices on the table from Midsouth & Wideners too. I ordered from Wideners last year but this year Midsouth is cheaper on the primers i use on my other guns

Blackhorn209 is the best, Im not sure what your troubles were but i am thinking either hang fires/misfires?

I tired White Hots and liked them..seemed to do real good..I did have a crud ring, but nothing i couldn't overcome by cleaning every shot ( which i normally do on the range), After playing around with BH209 i think i like it better though..it seems to be more consistent and my accuracy is better with BH209..IMR white hots would be my second choice.

I have not tried the BH because I do not want to use loose powder. I am using the WH because it got me on the bullseye when the Triple 7 would not. I have loaded 5 or 6 times without swabbing the barrel with the WH.

THe only real difference between White Hots & T-7's are the color. You may like th ease of pellets, but here are a couple things to think about. First.....you can buy the Lanes powder tubes or Blackhorn Powder tubes, drop in you bullet & your charge & it's ready to go. Second, how about 70+ shots without swabbing? Just sayin' :) Good luck with whatever you choose.

If I was fighting a war I would be concerned about 70+ shots before swabbing, but at the end of the day they need cleaned regardless. I only get two tags for each season, so the most I hope I have to shoot is four times plus a little range time each year right before the season starts. I may try some BH because my buddy has some that he is going to try out this season. I know last year when we were hunting close to dark, the same buddy dumped half of his powder out trying to reload fast for a second shot. I really would like to use loose powder, but when I am hitting bulleyes with what I am currently using, it is hard to switch. If my gun gets shot during the day, it gets cleaned that night. The only time I had trouble cleaning the WH was when I left a load in my gun for several days and condensation made it rust a bit, still only took about 45 mins. to get clean anyways. I do really appreciate the input you guys give on here.

Back