Iowa youth season, My son's second deer!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had so much fun that we decided to do it again!

We began hunting last saturday evening with several deer sighted but no shots fired. I had to leave for work on sunday night but my son stayed at his uncle's cabin to hunt monday morning with his cousin (no school that day).

Several deer were seen and they were able to sneek into a spot to setup their equipment. A nice doe got within a 105 yards so my nephew gave my son the signal to shoot. BOOM! He Missed! They think he overshoot the deer. She didn't move. The wind was blowing hard that morning, so instead of bolting, she was trying to find out what just happened. They were able to reload and get off a second shot. Bang. Flop! The doe stepped and turned right when my son shot, so the shot was high and hit the underside of her spine and lodged in her hip. One tenderloin was gone but that was it.

My other nephew was also hunting that weekend and took his first deer sunday morning. My son and his cousin were so excited. They hang around together all the time and it was fun listening to them kid eachother about who shot the biggest doe.

Later, when he got home and we were putting all the gear and meat away, we talked about the last couple of weekends and how much fun we had together and all of the things he learned about deer hunting. We both agreed that putting meat in the freezer was just an added bonus and we still would have had a great time without bringing anything home.

kNALhWQ.jpg

Here's the bullet they recovered. Its a Knight brand Barnes 250 gr PBT EZ-load. It performed great and when they say those petals are sharp, they aren't kidding.

f6TVmmd.jpg

My son used a T/C .50 cal Triumph, 80 grains BH209, Nikon Omega BDC scope

Good job BDhunter, congrats to your son. Passing on the tradition is so satisfying.

Nice deer!

To be young again.i could fix my mistakes. That is a big Doe!! 8)

Nice doe, and nice story! That's awesome that you're able to experience that with your son- memories that will last a lifetime!

That is a beautiful doe. Also a memory he will never forget.

Congratulations again! That is a beautiful picture, and very tastefully done.

A great hunt for you and son, successful, very nice doe and beautifull pix to capture the memory for all time.

Latest posts

Back