finally got it dialed in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james 14

Reaction score
I bought a CVA Kodiak Pro last year in 45 and have had a lot of trouble getting it to shoot decent groups...and by decent I mean something at or near MOA. I've found a few loads that will shoot 2-3" but for what was supposed to be a "long range" gun that was unacceptable.

It seems the gun doesn't like anything more than 100gr. of the T7 3F I'm using. My guess, after reading sabotloader's post a while back, is that the Remington Kleanbore primers are not hot enough to fully ignite the charge when using more than 100 gr. After hunting season I will either try a hotter primer or go back to 2F...or even BH 209. All I know is that I didn't get the same amount of fouling with 2F.

It was raining off and on today and I was worried it would affect how things worked. Being in FL it's always humid so I figured as long as it didn't blow in under the covered area I'd be fine. For the most part it stayed away.

The best load I've found so far is the 225gr Powerbelt AT. I would've preferred the 275gr. but it shot about 2.5" @ 100. The 225gr shot at or just under an inch.
I tried the 200gr 35 Rem bullets. I didn't have high hopes for this load after reading some posts on this site but I already had the bullets...so why not give it a shot. No good...keyholed at 50 yards...all over the place. Might try the 180gr. version one day.
Shot some 180gr. 357 XTP bullets. I still have some shooting to do with this. The rained picked up, the barrel was warm and I was running out of time to get a true test of it's accuracy. I did manage an inch group at 50 with two of the shots on top of each other. Got the same result at 100....inch group with two shots practically through the same hole but I had a flyer about two inches right making the group around 3". This was with 80gr of 3F.
I'd prefer to get this bullet to group with more powder than that and to eliminate the flyers. It'll take another range visit when it's not raining and I have more time.
I didn't get to try the 200gr 40 cal XTP but I managed a 2" group with 120gr last time out. I think I can shrink that by dropping to 100gr powder.

I'd much rather have one of the XTPs in my gun or even the 275 powerbelt but for some reason my gun decided on the most ballistically inferior bullet of the bunch. I'll put it where it needs to go when the time comes and it'll do it's job...but...sometimes things don't go as planned and you need a little more.
I also have a 45 with a 1:21 twist I'll give the 35 Rem bullets a go in. The barrel has some rust in it but still manages a 2-3" group with the 40 cal XTPs.
The next thing I'd want to try is a sabotless XTP/SST in 250 or 300gr or maybe the Thor bullet. This would be coupled with a powder/primer combo that could give me full ignition with over 100gr powder. It would have to for the extra bullet weight to be worth it.

Latest posts

Back