Illinois has to send muzzleloaders to FFL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzleloader48

Reaction score
A couple of months ago, I commented that I was the winning bidder of a BP muzzleloader at an online Illinois auction. I also said that Illinois required that the muzzleloader had to be sent to a dealer with an FFL license and itwas sent that way, which cost me about $70 extra(gun transfer + FFL dealer fee).
Then I got comments that, that was not so, and muzzleloaders in Illinois could be sent directly to winning bidder and that the person had actually received the BP muzzleloader at his door step.
I'm here to tell you: any auction company, or dealer in the state of Illinois that sends a muzzleloader directly to your home, is in violation of Illinois law. Here is an email I received from an Illinois Gun Dealer.
Hi Stanley,

Yes, unfortunately our Illinois Gun Laws require us to log in Antiques and Black Powders in our books (just like any other gun), thus they must be transferred/ shipped to a dealer.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

WOW ATF doesn't even require the Federal Form 4473 to be filled out, because a muzzleloader isn't a firearm.... we understand you live where you do... Illinois and New Jersey have weird state laws.

What else could you expect from a state run by a very large collection of CROOKS .

Have seen some on Gunbroker that will only send them to FFL, and also 3 years back tried to buy a L&R (Uberti) from a pawn shop near my hunting camp and was presented with the paperwork.... Asked what's this? told have to fill it out, told them it wasn't required etc... they told me they didn't care, thats just the way they were going to do it.... so told them never mind, $15 dollars more I'd buy it from Cabelas. Anyhow, made me feel better to order even though it was actually closer to $20 more. I'm stubborn like that........

WOW ATF doesn't even require the Federal Form 4473 to be filled out, because a muzzleloader isn't a firearm.... we understand you live where you do... Illinois and New Jersey have weird state laws.
I live in Idaho, one of the most gun friendly states there is, yet a chain of local gun/pawn shops requires the 4473 for muzzleloader purchases.

YUP Each State handles Muzzle loaders differently, from no sabots to electronic ignition, open/closed breech, I started digging state to state it is a ridiculous conundrum , of even worse double talk than some handgun restrictions. Muzzle Loading Laws state by state WEIRD, VAGUE worst is even county by county in each state there are variances, ordinances left to basic open interpretations to those "Enforcing" not those trying to follow. Now being understood some law is not a terrible thing, one blanket, clear and concise and enforced the same in ALL, disregarding all subtle nuisance gobbledygook cut and dried.

If a gun store or pawn shop is requiring the Fed Form 4473 when ATF doesn't require it on a traditional muzzle loader ie caplock or flintlock... it's time to order online or go elsewhere, even across state lines. I have seen it on modern muzzleloaders that use 209 shotgun primers or Traditions NitroFire muzzleloader rifle though.

Thing is, I bought a stainless ROA for $400.00 and a H & R buggy rifle for $160.00. Too hard to beat the price!

If a gun store or pawn shop is requiring the Fed Form 4473 when ATF doesn't require it on a traditional muzzle loader ie caplock or flintlock... it's time to order online or go elsewhere, even across state lines. I have seen it on modern muzzle-loaders that use 209 shotgun primers or Traditions Nitro Fire muzzle-loader rifle though.
4473 for Muzzle-Loaders I know sticky situation, Nitro Fire is one of these on the ATF radar, So the 4473 must be filed. And a few stores although NOT required by ATF or State Law however due to law suits are filing a 4473 to cover their buttocks. some no longer have Muzzle-loaders available on line.

Other than that fella Lincoln, can't recall any other Illinoians killed with a percussion gun. (Unless we count the war of northern aggression.) Mayor Lightfoot probably thought this law up due to the many Chicago gangsters carrying Philadelphia Derringers and drive-bys with blunderbusses. Makes me wanna chew tobacco.

One more reason not to cross the Mississippi River from Missouri.

True. I don't associate with auctions in any state that requires FFL for muzzleloaders. It's ridiculous. You should read the Illinois gun law on air rifles that are required to go to FFL.

When I ordered and picked up my Blue Ridge a year or so ago from Cabelas/Bass Pro, I had to fill some stuff out, but I don’t recall that it was the whole FFL paperwork deal. They would not ship to my home, though. I had to have it shipped to store for pickup.

Latest posts

Back