Bad range day with the elite....suggestions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedi65

Reaction score
Guys.. I could not get the gun to group at all today...I'm talkin' no consistency anywhere with any bullet. Last year I hunted with 2t7 pellets and a 265gr fusion. The load shot exceptionaly well 1" or so as did the shockwaves I had used before. I have one sneaking hunch.... The powder is not new...left over last year stuff and the primers are a bunch that I have had jacketed since last season also. I store my stuff reasonably well and didn't think it would be comprimised. The reason I questioned the powder was because everthing shot low...like 3" low consistently. I even shot a 3 pellet load under a lighter (250 vs 265) shockwave. Still low. The heavier charge didn't really behave any differently other than really crudding up the gun. So much in fact that I ripped the threaded insert out of my ram rod when I was swabbing the gun. It was probably for the better though..it made me stop shooting for the day!!

If you're using a scope check the rings and mounts. Perhaps it got bumped or something also. And it could be the powder. If it was shooting low, was it at least grouping low?

I don't think it's the scope....I checked the rings and mounts a-ok
The barrel was clean...and oil free. It's the way I always shoot...it usually works very well with this gun. I windex swabbed between shots as I always do. It did not group per se' just kinda' threw everything low and a little left. The inconsisitent or non exisitent grouping is what kept me from making any type of scope adjustments.

After a complete teardown and cleaning I am pretty sure it was the powder. There seemed to be a lot of unburnt powder (actually grey) on and around the breechplug. This was not any kind of normal 777 crud. It was obvious this powder had never ignited. Like I said before, I have never had a problem with virtually any bullet not shooting well in this gun. It just threw me for a loop. I actually kinda' feel better now that I think I know what the problem may have been. I'm gonna' get some new powder and primers and give er' a go again next chance I get.

I have an Elite and it shots 260 gr Harvester Scorpion bullets with 110 gr BH209 in a 1 inch group at 100 yds. 777 is prone to pick up moisture, and you can lose velocity. Give the BH209 a try.

Do you shoot the BH with the plastic jacket breech plug or something else? What primers? Anything else, or will I be good to go in "stock" configuration?

speedi65 said:
Do you shoot the BH with the plastic jacket breech plug or something else? What primers? Anything else, or will I be good to go in "stock" configuration?

I have shot my Long Range Hunter with both the FPJ and the Non-FPJ breach plug set-ups and BH209.I can't seem to see any difference in the way they shoot.What I do notice ALOT is that the Bare 209 Non-FPJ set-up is there is hardly any blowback from the primer.The FPJ was terrible with the blowback.I forgot,I am using CCI 209M primers,Fed 209A's also work well.

I bought the non-FPJ breech plug, but my combo tool won't fit the extended nipple. How did you install yours? Did you use an extended well socket wrench? thanks

tndeer,

You are on the right track. I use a 1/4" drive Deep socket and 6"extension to install and remove mine. I forget the size I am using, (I'm thinking it was 11 mm but not sure) I can check when I get home. I used the metric just because I had a spare loose socket in my box. Use Federal 209 a primers and you will not have any problem with the bh209 ignition. You can use CCI 209 mag too if you want too. I am also still working with a Disc Elite 50 cal. I found that standard CCI, and Winchesters gave me hangfires. Fed209a and CCI are hotter. I ran out of the Fed 209A's last weekend and started to use some CCI 209 mag's. I suspect that they might actually be too hot for mine. After the switch I had some fliers that were not there before. I am shooting the Knight/Barnes 250TMZ with Blue EZ-load sabot and that sabot may also be part of the flier problem. I have some of the old Yellow Sabots coming from knight. Unfortuantly this weekend might be a wash out for me, with heavy rain expected Saturday and very heavy Wind on Sunday as a cold front moves in. :( :evil:

ShawnT

tndeer,

Use a 7/16" deep socket or an 11 mm will work too. I like to use the 1/4 drive so it will not hang up on anything.

ShawnT

Thanks, i'm using the Winchester primers and have2-3 hangfires. I attributed them to carbon build up in the plug opening but you may be right, need more fire from hotter primer.

Latest posts

Back