Unloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucker

Reaction score
At the end of the day do you shoot or what to unload? How loing will you keep a flintlock loaded, 1 -3 days? I know w/ my inline I keep it loaded until I shoot. Is the Flinter different?

Now this is just me... I unload every night and reload the next morning. I have a range in my back yard, and a motion light that comes on as I walk in if it is too dark. So I just aim at the steel back stop and cut loose.

I keep it loaded. When the rifle is in camp, i simply plug the touch hole with a toothpick to help keep any moisture out of the main charge.

CO2

I have a CO 2 unloader, but use it for emergency, like if the powder gets fouled and Will not shoot. You still need to clean the gun, so I don't see a great advantage from just shooting it. However, if , for some reason, you get fouled, they get rid of the load in a very safe manner. Tried it out, and it worked good, but I have not needed it for emergency purposes yet. One time will make it worth having.

I don't have a place to shoot except of where I am hunting and I dont like to disturb that area if I plan to go back the next day. I NEVER leave a gun loaded so I use a CO2 unloader. It basicly wastes 1 CO2 cart. but they are only about .25 cents. After I blow the powder/patch/round ball out I clean the barrel just like if I was at the range. Next day I start all over with swabbing the barrel and then popping off a couple of percussion caps to make sure everything is dry and I reload and head back out to the field. I am sure everyone elses way of doing it is fine also... I just NEVER leave a gun loaded in my house and I have never liked the idea of leaving powder in a barrel. My guns are always put away clean.

Back