Lk-93 with FPJ and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well i gave it hell.

First i tried only 80gr and the 390gr conical with Lyman super moly and a moly wad and a Rem 50ca 385gr CLHP.

No primer/FPJ issue at all.

Moved upto 90gr and tried 3 45cal 300gr Scorpions and another conical.

No primer/FPJ issues at all.

Moved upto 100gr and a conical, a Rem 50cal 385gr CLHP and the 45cal 300gr Scorpions.

No primer/FPJ issues at all.

The moly residue was hurting the sabot groups so i put them away after getting the conical elevation marked on the Knight/Williams receiver peep sight. Roughly 3" high at 65 yards.

Fired several more shots until sabot loads started to tighten up. Seems to have worked. I then sighted in the 100gr BH209 load with 300gr Scorpions and a MMP 45/54 sabot.

I had to use the CCI209M to get good ignition with the conicals and Harvester 45/54 sabots. They both fit a bit loose and the mag primers seemed to help. The MMP 50/54s fit just right though and Win209s worked fine in the FPJ. I just didnt feel like getting beat to death with the 50cal 385gr CLHPs so i chose the 300gr Scorpions instead. The Rem CLHPs arent cheap either and wanted to save them for the GMB54.

Sighted in 1" high at 65 yards i managed to get sub 1" groups with the peep sight at 65 yards.

Pics to follow, been a long day but it was worth every minute. The old LK93 54 is a mean lil mutha and 100gr BH209 is enough for me in a plunger gun.. :D

Ok i got some pics ready

First 2 test shots with 80gr BH209, 390 conical and Rem 385gr CLHP. Only 65 yards but thats the max i can get a good sight picture with this peep aperture.

LK93BH209FIRST.jpg

Last shots sighted in with 100gr BH209, the conical (high) then after some fouling shots 3 45cal 300gr Harvester Scorpion PTs in a MMP 45/54 sabot sighted in just a bit high.

LK93BH209FINAL.jpg

Looks like the LK93 really likes this combo and isnt too bad on the shoulder. I didnt bother with the sight in and fouling shot targets since they were all over the place. The moly from the conicals doesnt play well with the sabots.

What a great little carbine and awesome for the money invested!!!!

Great Shooting... they are great little rifles. If you hunt out of trees, you will really like the Wolverine.

jsteurrys said:
How was the blowback?

Tolerable at best but im using a peep site so in MY case it is acceptable. If i were using a scope my opinion would be "needs improvement".

Much better than i thought it would be though. I expected MUCH worse and primer issues. I saved all the primers in the FPJs if you want pics.

Other than that it performed flawlessly with CCI209Ms and upto 100gr BH209 and 390gr bullets. I tried the Harvester 45/54s and IMO the MMP 45/54 sabot is much better in this one.

Just my opinion on blow back from a breech plug. I have noticed that a lot of people are obsessed with trying to eliminate blow back from the plug. Well I use a lot of open breech rifles. Open breech rifles like the Wolverine, Staghorn, Black Diamond, White rifles, etc.. have some blow back. Shoot a Black Diamond if you want to see blow back. But what I am getting at is.. it all cleaned up at the end of the day. You put a bra on the scope and there is really not a problem with blow back there. So I am a lucky person, I do not worry about blow back by the breech plug. As long as the breech plug comes out at the end of the shooting day, I am happy. It all cleans up.

GM54-120

I would say... as long as you use the FPJ's you probably will have very few primer issues.... The FPJ's leak enoung and expand enough that they will release the pressure long before the primer gets pushed back... How ever if you were to switch to the NFPJ - that migh be another issue.

Losing that much gas from the FPJ might have an adverse effect on the velocity - especially from BH but, heck - bet you have enough to get the job done....

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

I would say... as long as you use the FPJ's you probably will have very few primer issues.... The FPJ's leak enoung and expand enough that they will release the pressure long before the primer gets pushed back... How ever if you were to switch to the NFPJ - that migh be another issue.

Losing that much gas from the FPJ might have an adverse effect on the velocity - especially from BH but, heck - bet you have enough to get the job done....

This one is going to stay FPJ since i have about 300 of them and have no intention of exceeding 100gr :D It shoots just fine with 80-100gr and that is all i wanted from it.

Thats what the GMB54 is for.......PAIN ;)

Hornet22savage said:
Now that you have tried it, I will give it a go in my LK-93 .50 cal. and post my results also. good shooting.

I used CCI209M and Win209s. I prefer the Win209s but the gun preferred the mags unless you have a snug sabot.

IMO the CCI209M was a bit more accurate too. Work up starting at 80gr and inspect every primer/FPJ.

I stopped at 100gr because it is plenty for my intended use and shot great using flat based conicals and a moly wad....Its a dry wad treated with Lyman Super Moly on the side facing the bullet. The powder side i left basically dry.

Your results may vary if its not a 54.

Best of luck and be safe

Scott D.

jsteurrys said:
Please post some pictures of the FPJs and primers.

Ok, this is only a few but all looked like these. I think all but one or two of them are CCI209M and those two might be Nobels since i wanted to try one that fit tight.

LK93FPJ1.jpg

LK93FPJ2.jpg

LK93FPJ3.jpg

Good luck and be safe

Scott

Thanks for posting. They look pretty decent and cleaner than my DISC Original.

jsteurrys said:
Thanks for posting. They look pretty decent and cleaner than my DISC Original.

No problem at all. I expected much worse from a plunger gun but it appears safe upto 100gr BH209 and a 385gr bullet/sabot or conical in mine.

CCI209M ignition was very good btw

Latest posts

Back