bullet idea?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james 14

Reaction score
If you had an idea for a new bullet how would you go about getting it produced and the idea protected?...patent...send drawups to a bullet manufacturer?

james 14 said:
If you had an idea for a new bullet how would you go about getting it produced and the idea protected?...patent...send drawups to a bullet manufacturer?

Send me two boxtops from FRUIT LOOPS or LUCKY CHARMS (they're
magically delicious) along with your plans and I will see that your idea gets to the right place. :lol: :lol:

squirrelhawker said:
james 14 said:

magically delicious) along with your plans and I will see that your idea gets to the right place. :lol: :lol:

Now THAT is funny :lol: I don't care who ya are....right there...

If you send it to a manufacturer un- patented or un- copyrighted you have no claim if they swipe it.I thought about sending a cartridge design to Remington one time and a nice fella there sent me a letter suggesting I send the design info to myself in a registered letter and leave it unopened.This can provide proof of a timeline regarding the design. Other than that you should consult a patent attorney for best results. It may be expensive but it beats thinking WTF when you see you design with someone else's name on it!

I took a new archery sight, that I had made, to a national shoot and several manufacturing reps. saw it. ......well.. you know the rest.

mcrik

Spitpatch said:
squirrelhawker said:
james 14 said:

Now THAT is funny :lol: I don't care who ya are....right there...

James 14... you got a couple of good answers and one from a kook (me)
..on a more serious note though.. you would be surprised at some things that have a patent awarded...and there isnt interest in producing it by the manufacturers. Lots of firearms related things are also looked at with liability concerns... so are not pursued.

Confederate rifleman said:
If you send it to a manufacturer un- patented or un- copyrighted you have no claim if they swipe it.I thought about sending a cartridge design to Remington one time and a nice fella there sent me a letter suggesting I send the design info to myself in a registered letter and leave it unopened.This can provide proof of a timeline regarding the design. Other than that you should consult a patent attorney for best results. It may be expensive but it beats thinking WTF when you see you design with someone else's name on it!

What idea did you have? (CR) If you dont mind sharing...

Squirrelhawker,
It was a shortened 444 Marlin case necked to .358 caliber with a 40 degree shoulder and little body taper.Sort of an improved 35 Herret( based on the 30-30 case) without going to a longer case.I meant it for use in T/C Contenders and short barrelled single shots.I was 15 at the time and had no way to pursue it past the drawing stage.Would've been cool though...

The 1st step might be to find out if a reamer or set of dies has ever been drawn or machined in this configuration. It's really difficult to come up with a cartridge that hasn't already been tried.

mcrik

Confederate rifleman said:
Squirrelhawker,
It was a shortened 444 Marlin case necked to .358 caliber with a 40 degree shoulder and little body taper.Sort of an improved 35 Herret( based on the 30-30 case) without going to a longer case.I meant it for use in T/C Contenders and short barrelled single shots.I was 15 at the time and had no way to pursue it past the drawing stage.Would've been cool though...

That may have made an interesting wildcat.

Back