Hoppes #9 Benchrest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Anyone ever used this instead of the plain Hoppes?

Ive used it in the past but didnt see it again until today. It really used to work well for bores with lots of copper fouling. I soaked an old Swedish Mauser barrel with it once and let it set over night. The patches were very green when i unplugged the barrel and scrubbed it.

Granted we dont get copper fouling but it does work really well on plastic residue also. I got a small bottle tonite and cleaned the WinApex from last weekends session.

Seemed to work pretty good.

I followed up with some Windex for grins (came out spotless). I decided to take off work tomorrow and hit the range again :D This weekend is going to rain and tomorrow is supposed to be really nice so WTH not. :lol:

I got a some conicals ready with some Super Moly and made some moly wads so i guess i will see how well it works cleaning up their mess. :D

Let us know how it works. I've had that thought also about using it to get out any plastic fouling from the sabots. I used to use it on my centerfire rifles. I think I still have some laying around somewhere.

I've been using it for a couple of months and it works fine.
I use the benchrest oil as well.
All except for one gun I am trying Ezocks (sp)

I use it and it works great! I only use it every now and then on the muzzleloader just to ensure I'm not getting any plastic build-up from the sabots. But I use it every time I clean my pistols and centerfire rifle. I've never seen a bore cleaner than when I get done using this stuff.

SWThomas said:
I use it and it works great! I only use it every now and then on the muzzleloader just to ensure I'm not getting any plastic build-up from the sabots. But I use it every time I clean my pistols and centerfire rifle. I've never seen a bore cleaner than when I get done using this stuff.

Thats been my experience using it with centerfire guns too. Often people get the old Mausers and would use ammo that was lighter and faster than the old Swede round. This caused heavy copper fouling.

#9 Benchrest removed it with ease if you let is soak over night.

Today isnt much different with people using light "varmint" bullets in the newer fast twist ARs ect and if used each time you clean, its easier to keep them clean.

BTW it cleaned up the LK93 and the Lyman moly coated conical just fine. It does seem to work a little better that regular #9 and the barrels are squeaky clean. I run a Windex patch afterwards then a dry patch and you can feel it.

Im still trying to find a supply of Montana Cowboy blend locally. My LGS does have it on order for me. Im heading over there in a few minutes just to see if they got in some other items too.

Grafs in St Charles Mo is a great little store and prices are much better than the large chain stores.

Latest posts

Back