i need help for some info from expert reloaders.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
here is the question. a 45 long colt. same amount of powder, same powder. two different bullets. bother wieght 250 grains. one is copper jacketed and the other is lubed lead. what is going to be the pressure differences of the two loads and what will be the feet per second difference of the two loads? im all ears.

They should be close. However, if you get the velocity too high, leading may occur with the lead bullet depending on its hardness.

Copper bullet will have higher pressure.  Impossible to say how much higher of if it would even exceed SAAMI limits for 45 LC.  ALWAYS refer to a load manual.  Blowing up a gun is an experience we could all live without.

I frequently exceed the published maximum loads. They have been 'lawyered down' in the last 15 years or so. I have found that a lot of my most accurate loads are a grain or so over the book's limit.
I depend more on whether the bolt lifts hard or the primers are flattened to determine when I have gone a bit too far.

I've reloaded a lot of .45 Colt ammo and 99.9% was with home cast lead bullets.  My 7.5" BlackHawk gets 1250 fps with a 260 grain bullet over just 18 grains of 2400.  The 4.5" gets about 1065 fps with the same load.  The long barrel is basically a .44 mag with that load.  Can't speak for jacketed slugs.

My pet load for hunting with my Ruger 7 1/2" is: 250 gr. Hornady XTP over 20.0 gr. of 2400. Very accurate at 50 yards.

I call the load I shoot "my accuracy load" since it really is that accurate.  The 7.5" shoots high like too many BHs do.  The 4.5" is perfect and a favored carry gun for the bush.  The only "hunting" I've done with either is with the shorty barrel.  I've killed lots of squirrels with it but nothing larger.

I've had these two revolvers since just after the Earth's crust cooled.  And yes, that is a stainless steel ejector rod housing and cylinder release button.  I did that long, long ago.

PICT0648.jpg

thats an ugly hog!! lol. I love hunting those. My brother in law went to oklahoma just last week and went cat fishing, turkey hunting and of course they shot some hogs.

FrontierGander said:
My brother in law went to oklahoma just last week and went cat fishing, turkey hunting and of course they shot some hogs.
I'm jealous.

That hog just looks MEAN.  I was born & bred in Georgia and only moved at age 62, or was it 63.  Oh, well; it matters not.  Anyway I lived in an area swarming with hogs - also feral dog packs  - but never hunted them.  A good friend did, however.  And here's a photo of his bull elk kill in Kentucky.
2017100795081701.jpg

You do have to apply and apply until you get picked.  It also depends on the section you apply for.  He did finally get a tag for really good zone.  Funny, but he's been out west more than a couple of times but no elk.  He usually goes with his dad and they have gotten mule deer, though.  He's a colonel now, I think, and is looking to retire in just a few more years.  He was also one of my students back in Ga when I was still teaching in my own dojo.  His wife and daughter were also students.  I'm older than his dad and they are all dear friends.  We socialized a lot, our dojo was like family.  I've actually had adult students come to me and cry because they were moving away.  I see many of them in August each year when I go down for the Martial Arts USA annual clinic; I am usually asked to teach an aikido session, anyway.

Just thought I'd throw in a couple of pics for no particular reason.  This is me throwing one of my black belts at a clinic.  :Hide: :Scucks:

14055138_10153972357117956_2528040239855097671_n_1.jpg

The pic on the right is of a youthful me with a flintlock, my first.  Circa 1969.  On the left is a pic :shooter: taken maybe 12+ years ago.  My go-to .45 flinter and a target fired at 60 yards.  It has shots taken by my friend (the elk killer) and me.  We fired alternating shots and got two different groups, duh; and took them from different positions including several off hand.

PICT0521.jpg

I usually don't post photos of my, AHEM! handsome face, for various reasons.  But then, why not this time.  :lol!: :Questuon: :Shh:

Latest posts

Back