Indiana "Marathon" hunt. (photo intensive)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Thanks for being patient.

Cast of Characters: :lol:

Pat Allen (my host)
Tim Steadman (Pat's friend)
Nick Steadman (Tim's son)
Derek (don't remember his last name)(Nick's Friend)
Steve Stabler (NOT a CO. There's also a CO named Steve. My mistake. :oops: )
Me

I arrived in Rockville Indiana at around 10:30 and watched the Veteran's Day ceremony while waiting on Pat Allen. I was supposed to meet him at noon but I was fairly early. Well When he showed we shook hands and I followed him to our campsite at Raccoon Lake. He had everything set up for my arrival.

tent1.jpg

Our luxury accomodations. Anytime it's cold I consider heat a luxury. :lol: This was taken after hunting a few days so it's a little messy.

tent2.jpg

After I got my gear put away we went to Morton, Indiana to get a few things. Unknown to me 3 conpirators pitched in for a doe tag for me. Thanks Tom, JJ, and Chuck. I would have gone home empty handed if it wasn't for you guys. Anyway after getting a few things we headed to our hunting area where we set a couple stands. After that we headed back and prepared our gear for morning. Pat and I helped Tim prepare supper. We had deer loin chops soaked in marinade (which I suspect was liquid smoke and brown sugar) and wrapped in bacon. Tim actually cooked, as Pat and I did the bacon wrapping. We also had cole slaw and maccaroni salad with our tasty meat. After dinner I took a quick shower and hit the sack.

We had planned to get up very early but our alarm failed to go off and we lost a half hour. However we still made the woods when we wanted too so it worked out anyway. The initial plan was to hunt escape routes as the property we were hunting was surrounded by groups of hunters and there was only 6 of us. Normally the hunters around scare everything around into the property. I was hunting a hill top a couple ridges southwest of Pat. He missed a nice buck early since he had waited to make sure it was the one he wanted. Tim and Derek shot does and Derek's had the front leg blown off at the knee (probably by a slug gun) recently which was why he took it. I saw the buck Pat missed but never got a good shot. It trotted from left to right at a 45 degree angling away. I didn't feel right about the shot so I didn't fire. I also saw 2 bunches of turkeys.

Pics from stand 1.

stand1.jpg

stand1_2.jpg

stand1_3.jpg

We pulled out for a lunch of cold meat sandwiches, cheese sticks, and tasty cheesecake bars. Tim, Nick, and Derek broke their camp down since after their afternoon hunt they were quitting for the weekend. That afternoon Pat put me in another stand but I didn't feel comfortable with it so I hunted the one I had that morning. It was very windy that afternoon. I could feel the tree moving underneath me. I never saw anything else Saturday. That night Pat, Steve, and I ate at Crossroads (cafe) after we cleaned up. We prepared for our hunt Sunday and crashed for the night. That night was WINDY!

It was still really windy Sunday morning so we slept in a few hours till it calmed down somewhat. He took me back to the "corn crib" stand I hunted the rest of the hunt. The wind was awful and I never saw any deer but I did amuse myself by watching a chipmunk running around. Steve called it quits at 11:00. When we were going back in after lunch (same lunch as Saturday) Pat offered to stick me in another stand and I told him I had a good feeling about that stand. Sunday afternoon was as uneventful as the morning. I still amused myself by watching the chipmunk. I also questioned my feeling about the stand. After another dinner at Crossroads we hit the sack again.

stand1_4.jpg

Monday morning we got up at 4:00 and I decided to go back to the same stand. At 8:40 I saw a couple deer moving through the trees. I hoped they'd veer towards me but it didn't look like they were. A few minutes later I saw them coming towards me. I upped my magnification from 2 to 7 and watched the lead doe through the scope. Finally the lead doe was in a "hole" and I fired.

stand2_1.jpg

The dark shape in my red crosshairs is the doe. I ranged her at 84 yds after the shot. From that picture it looks like a tangle of limbs. Here is a better one.

hole.jpg

See the doe?

deer.jpg

Entrance hole side. The exit was about twice as big. I used Winchester Platinum tips with 100 gr of triple seven (80 gr. by weight).

photo.jpg

An arial photo of the area. Pat marked it out for me. The northern boundary is the creek. The yellow line is how you get in and the red cross the area I shot the deer. Doesn't look that bad does it?

topo.jpg

Tis is a topo of the area. Yellow line and red crosshairs are the same things as in the photo. The blue line is roughly how I had to get into the stand. Actually I think I had to go farther left on the map. It was a LOT of up and down travel. There's a ridge called heart attack ridge to the north of where I was hunting. There was a big one I had to go up that Pat joked that if there was a heart attack ridge did they call this one stroke? :lol: It was a really rough climb. After seeing his data from Sunday (GPS tracking) I think we went about 12 miles all three days total.

I still feel like I could fall asleep. I'm still pretty tired. :bored:

I new you would have a great time. There are never any guarantee's hunting. That's why we made things a little easier for ya. :wink: When are you getting one of those SMI barrels???? I know you probably liked Pat's.

Pat's was very nice. I think his could have used a longer forend though. His is got the 12 ga. shotgun forend. Right now my SMI project is on hold. With any luck, I hope to start it before too long.

You know I just remembered something I forgot to mention in the hunting report. Pat lost his top ramrod piece opening morning. He used my range rod all weekend and found his ramrod piece Monday morning. :lol:

Congrats Patrick! I'm glad you got a doe! Looks like ya'll had a great time. Hunting out in the woods is a LOT better than behind a computer isn't it! :yeah: Looks like you put that bullet EXACTLY where it needed to go!

big6x6 said:
Congrats Patrick! I'm glad you got a doe! Looks like ya'll had a great time. Hunting out in the woods is a LOT better than behind a computer isn't it! :yeah: Looks like you put that bullet EXACTLY where it needed to go!

Yeah it's a LOT more fun. If it wasn't for you guys I wouldn't even have had the option of shooting a doe.

Congrats Patrick!! Nice doe.

Enjoyed your hunt report & some fine pics there!

Deer Hunt

Pat, Were you in Parke co.? There are alot of Heart Attack , Stroke, Revive, Oxygen, Ridges down there!LOL!! Beautiful Country! I hunt a couple farms down there. Every time I go there and looked up to the top of those ridges, I really feel my age!

Actually we were just inside Putnam county. I kept thinking Parke county before I went, but we were in Putnam. We camped at Raccoon Lake which is in Parke.

Patrick White said:
Actually we were just inside Putnam county. I kept thinking Parke county before I went, but we were in Putnam. We camped at Raccoon Lake which is in Parke.
Pat, Where are you located in Illinois? I was born in Decatur, and grew up in Charleston(Coles County). Use to chase them Whitetails through the Embarrass River Valley south east of there.Some excellent hunting over that way!

Hey Patrick!

Congrats on a fine weekend and your first out of state hunting adventure! From the pics it looks like you had a good time!

Sorry you missed on you buck but good job on filling the freezer with that doe! That looked like a heck of a shot to me!

KUDOS!

JJ

Tar-12 said:
Pat, Where are you located in Illinois? I was born in Decatur, and grew up in Charleston(Coles County). Use to chase them Whitetails through the Embarrass River Valley south east of there.Some excellent hunting over that way!

Further west. I'm between Quincy and Jacksonville and located in Pike Co.

Congrats pat! Looked like a pretty cool hunt. Love the maps and field photos that went with the story. Awesome stuff.

As an add on, another friend of Pat's took a deer out of the very same stand I was in. :shock: Pat called this morning and said his buddy got a doe. Shot one of the 4 that came in. They've got about 8" of snow on the ground. I wish I had a picture of that stand. it's pretty unusual. Pat said he'd have to hunt out of it now. He's not had a lot of luck this year. Hope he get's one.

Yes my guests are two for two and I'm 0 for ever!!! I could have shot several does in Crossville and passed on one opening day of gun season here in Indiana and two the day before Thanksgiving...All in all it has been a fantastic season as I' ve spent more time in the woods this year than in many past years. I still have at least two more days with the HB#106 or NEF/SMI left and at least one weekend during late bow season. There are several nice bucks still running our area and maybe with a bit of luck I just might get a shot... Again, congrats to Patrick for his first Indiana deer and to my friend Kelly for his first muzzleloader deer.... :D

Pat, I looked at all those pictures and came to the conclusion your hunting is a whole lot different than mine. All those trees :D . Where I hunt there are lots of poplar bluffs and a lot more open area. My blinds are set up on the edges and give me a view of the open areas and have shots up to 200 yds or more. The nice thing is that when you shoot one, they're usually down before they get to the trees.

The area that Patrick hunted looks a lot like the woods behind the house. There is one shooting lane that I can see 140 Yds, but any other shot is 80 Yds or less. You have to either get lucky and the deer stops in a shooting lane, or you have to thread the bullet between the trees!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Latest posts

Back