Hornady 300 g XTP Any Thoughts?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpep

Reaction score
To The Muzzleloading Wizzards-
This season I will be hunting a woods to corn stubble field area with shots up to 150 yds.
I'm shooting a 50 Cal NEF Sidekick 26" barrel. I'm using a Hornady 300g XTP (45CAl .452) with a T/C Mag Sabot, 110g T-7 loose powder.
My concern is with the XTP, will I get proper expansion or pass thru and no blood trail.

It is a very, very good bullet-- no resason to expect problems at all. The suggested velocity ranges are in the Hornady catalog you can view on line, or free for the download.

You can expect a dead deer, quickly, if you put the bullet where it belongs. :shock:

RandyWakeman said:
It is a very, very good bullet-- no resason to expect problems at all. The suggested velocity ranges are in the Hornady catalog you can view on line, or free for the download.

You can expect a dead deer, quickly, if you put the bullet where it belongs. :shock:

I feel the same way.

My concern is with the XTP, will I get proper expansion or pass thru and no blood trail

You'll probably be in the 1700fps range with that bullet/powder charge. PLENTY for that bullet to expand properly. The GREAT thing is..it really won't matter that much. A 300gr .452cal bullet starts OUT larger than MOST bullets end up AFTER expansion. You have no reason for concern.

XTP.jpg

I agree with the rest of these guys. I've been using this bullet out of a 24" knight disc for years and have taken deer past 150 with it. Wait till teh deer gets in the field and you will likely be able to drive your truck up to him to load since he won't make it back out.

Good luck.

300XTP

I have heard of people with so called issues with the 300XTP. I personally I have had only pos. experiences with this Bullet, wether it was being pushed by BP and substitutes or smokeless powders. My last 8 deer have been taken with this bullet.5 died in there tracks, 2 made it approx. 10 and 12 yds. respectively.And one I gut shot, and recovered after it had traveled approx. 80 yds. I had no trouble with tracking this deer,waited approx. 1 hour,followed the blood, and stomach sign right to it.

300 grn. XTPs

Redpep, A little update for you, I can add 2 more to the dropped in their tracks list. 1 at 80yds, and 1 96 yds out of my HB LTD. Sure do love that combo.!! I wanted to add, my longest laser verified shot with this bullet was 267yds. out into a cornfield. That deer stumbled in a 15 yd. circle before going down. Nothing but awsome performance out!!

My wife uses a .430 XTP,and a Knight green sabot,with 90grs. PyrodexRS in her Knight. I keep trying to convince her to change,but she won't! It shoots under a inch @100yds. and she has killed every deer she has shot at with this load(8) from 35-128yds. Guess I better leave her alone. It's hard to argue with that kind of success! Ron :)

I stepped it up to the 300gr XTP Mags. I did a little testing and it seemed the regular XTP's seemed to expand a little to much at higher velocities. The XTP mags seem so control the expansion a little better. I shot a black bear in September with a 300gr XTP Mag and it did tremendous damage. I was very pleased with it.
JEV

jvacura said:
I stepped it up to the 300gr XTP Mags. I did a little testing and it seemed the regular XTP's seemed to expand a little to much at higher velocities. The XTP mags seem so control the expansion a little better. I shot a black bear in September with a 300gr XTP Mag and it did tremendous damage. I was very pleased with it.
JEV
At what ranges and what type of gun are you shooting these out of?In my Savages, the 300grnXTP MAGs do not group nearly as well as the 300XTPs at longer ranges. I have had the 300grn. XTP MAGs, punch a small hole in and out if you do not hit bone.Personally, I want all energy spent in the animal. As you stated they are excellent for big game animals with big thick bodies.

Back