Why I shoot a White Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do get a slight build up of a crud ring shooting Triple Seven 2f. Slight meaning I can feel it when I load, but it does not stop me from loading. When I change powders or bullets I like to swab a barrel clean, to be fair to the powder and the new projectile I am trying.

I really think that with the Pyrodex P it was starting to come around, but I was a little surprised with the group. And my other two White rifles shoot the Triple Seven 3f real good, but this Ultra Mag shoots the 2f fantastic.

I was a coward. After I saw that three shot group I have to admit, I was scared to try and make it five shot. Too many times I have tried only to blow a perfect group. But that clover leaf was sure a shock when I walked up to the target.

Nice shooting Cayuga, I have some T7 3f I'll have to try along with Pyrodex P, but I'll be shooting 300gr Gold Dots with sabots.

I went strictly by what my notes on the rifle said I achieved the best accuracy, with what powder. I do know that the black powder number was from when I first started shooting.. which was Swiss. When I changed over to Goex, I just never changed the amount of powder.

I might have to experiment with different amounts this summer. But I really like how it does with the Triple Seven.

Actually I think Swiss is hotter then Pyrodex P also. Maybe some more things to try. Although I like the results of the Triple Seven and the rifle seems to like the powder a great deal as far as ignition.

cayuga

Here is an old powder comparison article... you can find Swiss on the second picture. I have always felt that Swiss shot right along with T7 powder when it came to velocity....

PowderComp.jpg

PowderComp2.jpg

Back