I had an Epiphany!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I realized that almost anyone with a little tutelage could master a Cap-Lock Muzzle Loader in a relatively short period of time. Not meaning to brag but I myself have taken a new rifle to the range, sighted it in, then used it at the monthly match and did well.

Flint-locks are a completely different animal. Sometimes if you hold on the target too long, you get the wobbles. In other words, your muzzle seems to be all over the place, then it stops for a moment. With a Cap-lock and “Set Triggers”, you can “pull” the trigger and hit your mark. Do the same with a flint-lock and it will hit some where off to the side. You must “squeeze” the trigger while at the same time trying to keep your sights on where you want the ball to go. If you’re not used to it, the anticipation of the “flash” from the pan going off in front of your eye, gets to you. You flinch or even worse, close your eyes and not only miss the target but the whole back board as well!

Needless to say, this is going to require a lot more practice than I’m used to. I honestly believe that in time I will become as comfortable with the Flint-lock as I am with the Cap-lock. Good thing I enjoy shooting the Muzzle Loaders!

The first photo was Bench Rested. I did so poorly at the Monthly Match, I had to double check! LOL The second and third were Off hand.

Attachments

• 20210102_143548.jpg
    20210102_143548.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20210102_150018.jpg
    20210102_150018.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20210102_160058.jpg
    20210102_160058.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
What rifle are you using? Flintlocks are just like percussion guns, some have single triggers and some have double set triggers. And then of course, there are the single set triggers....

Put a chip of wood in the jaws in place of the flint and dry fire it. Do so every evening for ten or so "shots" and that wobble will diminish immensely!

The guy that learns to shoot a flintlock will find he has become a better shot overall. We see this all the time. It just takes practice, practice, practice, practi ....... :rolleyes: ......:cheers:

What rifle are you using? Flintlocks are just like percussion guns, some have single triggers and some have double set triggers. And then of course, there are the single set triggers....

Put a chip of wood in the jaws in place of the flint and dry fire it. Do so every evening for ten or so "shots" and that wobble will diminish immensely!

CVA 50 cal. Frontier Rifle with 28' Barrel and Set Triggers.

The Topic doesn't match anything ...... Epiphany, commonly known as Three Kings' Day in the United States, is on January 6. It celebrates the three wise men's visit to baby Jesus and also remembers ... ???

Do everyone a favor and make your Topic Line relate to the subject matter.

Buck is correct in describing the Christian holiday. However, I believe the OP was actually trying to invoke the original language context of the word Epipihany. From Wikipedia, you can find this:
"An epiphany (from the ancient Greek ἐπιφάνεια, epiphanea, "manifestation, striking appearance") is an experience of a sudden and striking realization..."

The Topic doesn't match anything ...... Epiphany, commonly known as Three Kings' Day in the United States, is on January 6. It celebrates the three wise men's visit to baby Jesus and also remembers ... ???

Do everyone a favor and make your Topic Line relate to the subject matter.

I've heard this phrase in movies and TV shows before and researched it's definition before using it. While it does stand for what you've written it also means, as Billy-by-gosh stated, "an experience of a sudden and striking realization...", which was my intention. There apparently is a big difference between THE Epiphany and AN Epiphany. Sorry for the confusion!

Back