A DAY AT THE RANGE IN SE MINNESOTA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UtahRob said:
I started of with a 300 grain XTP and shot very tight groups . Then this past summer i ( don't know why ) thought i would try some other bullets sabot combos . Guess what nothing came close to to being as accurate as the xtp in my Encore and I spent around 75.00 doing this . Ran into a friend while elk hunting and he did the same thing .
Wish I could have gotten by with $75 :oops: Your lucky :wink:

oldelkhunter said:
You can shim the base to get the extra elevation but with the EABCO system why not purchase some Burris Signature rings and get the offset insert package which is a little extra. YOu can dial the elevation and windage with just the offsets. I am not a fan of these rings but they do work and will hold that scope tighter then any other combo out there. I have been looking at that EABCO setup myslef and believe I would go Signature as well.

I just put the EABCO on my Encore and it shoots LOW just like it did with the weaver base before I shimed it. I think I will try the same shim under the EABCO. I've heard it is a problem that encore and omega have. Just too bad, you spend that much money for something good then have to spend some more to get it to work the way it is supposed to. Maybe I will check into the Burris rings too.

Got my Medium Warne Rings today, took the high rings off the scope, mounted the mediums, took the omega apart and gave it a good cleaning, after sitting two weeks dirty with bh209, came out spotless :D . Shimmed up the back of the eabco peep base with aluminum as instructed here, everything is going great :!: Went to install the scope and it would not fit, even when removing the aperature :x . I have no idea what to do now, I really was impressed with the peep system and the omega scope. I really think I have no choice but to scrap the eabco peep rib system and go back to the open sights :evil:. ANY IDEAS :?:

billyzink said:
Went to install the scope and it would not fit, even when removing the aperature . I have no idea what to do now, I really was impressed with the peep system and the omega scope. I really think I have no choice but to scrap the eabco peep rib system and go back to the open sights. ANY IDEAS :?:

I have low rings on my omega with an Eabco peep rib. What i did this year, is remove the whole peep sight when i installed the scope. I even had to remove the front sight, because it seems so vulnerable perched out there on the end of the barrel. When the muzzle loader season was about to start, the scope came off; the front sight and the peep sight went back on; with just a very few shots at paper, the gun was ready for the hunt. It seems the front sight goes right back nearly exactly where it was, and the peep sight only needed a nudge up or down the ramp, from where i put it from memory.

ronlaughlin said:
billyzink said:
Went to install the scope and it would not fit, even when removing the aperature . I have no idea what to do now, I really was impressed with the peep system and the omega scope. I really think I have no choice but to scrap the eabco peep rib system and go back to the open sights. ANY IDEAS :?:

I have low rings on my omega with an Eabco peep rib. What i did this year, is remove the whole peep sight when i installed the scope. I even had to remove the front sight, because it seems so vulnerable perched out there on the end of the barrel. When the muzzle loader season was about to start, the scope came off; the front sight and the peep sight went back on; with just a very few shots at paper, the gun was ready for the hunt. It seems the front sight goes right back nearly exactly where it was, and the peep sight only needed a nudge up or down the ramp, from where i put it from memory.
I do not want to have to do that, I want the peep rib system, and I want to be able to use either or in the field hunting. With confidence that everything is sighted in and ready, I really was not comfortable with having to take the aperature out but would have lived with that if it was the only way it would work :( I suppose I can put the high rings back on with the shims and hope that cures it. But there must be a better way :?:

Billy

I feel your pain...you want the peeprib to work, but every option so far, carries another drawback!

I am in similar situation, but with work being a demanding mistress and recovery from pulling a muscle in my back, I have not had the time (or health) to hit the range lately.

Once work settles down and my back decides to heal, I will do a range session or two and document the results with some pics...

Until then, keep the faith and keep searching for the answer...it's out there waiting to be discovered.

Joe

What about shimming the rail so that the scope works then removing the scope and adjusting the peep accordingly. This way you wouldn't be putting the scope in a bind and the rail would act as though to had some correction built into it.

DC

I have a question....how long have these ribs been on the market? Could this just be an isolated problem with one rib or one Omega? Is there anywhere to get feedback beyond the isolated issue going on here in this thread? It'll be interesting to see what you hear back in your email.

DLuke said:
I have a question....how long have these ribs been on the market? Could this just be an isolated problem with one rib or one Omega? Is there anywhere to get feedback beyond the isolated issue going on here in this thread? It'll be interesting to see what you hear back in your email.
This seems really weird. A good place to start would be to try a different scope or try a different load.
Janelle
E. Arthur Brown Co.
Customer Service
4088 County Rd 40 NW
Garfield, MN 56332
Ph: 320.834.3000
Fax:320.834.3002
Em: [email protected]

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:24 PM
Subject: peep rib

Hello , I purchased a peep rib from you folks a while back, I wanted to mount it with quick detach rings, this is on a omega, I purchased warne high qd rings and installed it, the omega bdc scope was installed, anyway the scope is at the end of its adjustment and is still six inches low. Any ideas on what might be wrong at what might be the fix to it? I really must have quick detach rings but I also was very excited about the peep rib. Thanks Joe

billyzink said:
DLuke said:
This seems really weird. A good place to start would be to try a different scope or try a different load.
Janelle
E. Arthur Brown Co.
Customer Service
4088 County Rd 40 NW
Garfield, MN 56332
Ph: 320.834.3000
Fax:320.834.3002
Em: [email protected]

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:24 PM
Subject: peep rib

Hello , I purchased a peep rib from you folks a while back, I wanted to mount it with quick detach rings, this is on a omega, I purchased warne high qd rings and installed it, the omega bdc scope was installed, anyway the scope is at the end of its adjustment and is still six inches low. Any ideas on what might be wrong at what might be the fix to it? I really must have quick detach rings but I also was very excited about the peep rib. Thanks Joe
Not the answer I wanted to hear :roll: IMO not a very educated one either :oops:

I GIVE UP!!!! Was back to the range today, shimmed up the back of the mount, gained a little, but not enough. I really love the way this gun shoots. I am going to take the peep rib off tonight and put the stock sights back on. But will I have the same problem with the scope with diffrent bases? What bases should I be installing on this gun? Helpppppppp!!!!!!!!

I have an encore that I had a TC. weaver style base on with a bushnell 3200 scope and the only way I could get enough adjustment is if I shimmed the rear of the base. Put an EABCO base on and had the same thing, So I put the shim under the EABCO but haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. So it has to be a problem with Encore and Omega or they wouldn't make a 20 moa scope rail for them. I think I used a .015 shim, soda can wasn't thick enough. The rings I got came with the scope rail and they are pretty high but what are you going to do.

Billyzink

We finally got some decent weather for a weekend, so I will hit the range today to see if I can shed any light on the problem, as I will shoot the eabco peeprib for the first time.

My plan is to shoot the peeprib ring sight at 50 yds to zero the open sight; then once it is zero'd, I plan on mounting the scope (Bushnell Banner 3-9 x 40) and shoot it to see if I have the same problem that you reported.

More to follow... :)

P.S. I also called eabco to ask questions before ordering the peeprib and spoke to a lady who had to relay my questions to another person in the background...could have been the same clueless person.

Cleboje

dphobby said:
I have an encore that I had a TC. weaver style base on with a bushnell 3200 scope and the only way I could get enough adjustment is if I shimmed the rear of the base. Put an EABCO base on and had the same thing, So I put the shim under the EABCO but haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. So it has to be a problem with Encore and Omega or they wouldn't make a 20 moa scope rail for them. I think I used a .015 shim, soda can wasn't thick enough. The rings I got came with the scope rail and they are pretty high but what are you going to do.
where can I buy a shim?

I just got a piece of aluminum stock from a hardware store and cut one out, and drilled the holes. If I can find the rest of the piece i will make one and send it to you if you PM me your address.

billyzink said:
I GIVE UP!!!! Was back to the range today, shimmed up the back of the mount, gained a little, but not enough. I really love the way this gun shoots. I am going to take the peep rib off tonight and put the stock sights back on. But will I have the same problem with the scope with diffrent bases? What bases should I be installing on this gun? Helpppppppp!!!!!!!!
Decided not to give up. Put a bigger shim on the peep rib, she is zeroed at 100 yards, with a little adjustment to spare. Shot the hell out of it today and everything thing seems fine. Still a little disapointed about having to remove the aperature to make things work, but will live with it for now. At least till the new knight reviews start coming in :!:

dphobby said:
I just got a piece of aluminum stock from a hardware store and cut one out, and drilled the holes. If I can find the rest of the piece i will make one and send it to you if you PM me your address.
Thanks for the offer, but I thgink I have it now :)

Back