Lyman Deerstalker ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
Hey all. I was looking at a Deerstalker yesterday, well actually a couple different flinters to be exact. I really liked the Great Plains. And the TC Hawken. Though I can't see the $600 + blls for the TC. Now, is it just me or is the Deerstalker a little on the short side in the barrel department? I really like the feel of the rifle, and the sights in particular. I just have some reservations about the short barrel from a accuracy standpoint. Who all here has the Deerstalker and how does she shoot?

Short barrels are just as accurate as long barrels. I prefer them.

Deerstalker

I bought one this year and used it in PA flint season. For reasons other than the gun I did not score a deer. However, I used 80 Grains 3f Goex in the barrel and in the pan. I used the TC ceap shots w/ supplided sabot. I shot within the inner ring of a pie plate at 100 yards w/ the first shot. I kept them going in there for the next 15. Easy to shoot, clean and carry. The butt pad helps absorb recoil. I like the single trigger instead of the set trigger system. For my clunky style it works fine, as I ain't a quick shooter and am strong enough to hold it on target. You will need a short starter as the ram rod is inferior and whippy, but usable if you get the long short starter. Because of time i did not get a chance to shoot the conicals or round balls one of our fellow forum members sent me but that is soon to be. I have never owned a flinter, so when I got the gun I tore it apart and cleaned EVERYthing on the gun. I also put 3 coats of Tongue oil on the unfinished wood inside the lock area and parrel area. I did not like the open wood w/ no oil etc to protect. During the interim I have applied about 5 coats of tongue oil to the gun by hand, dipping my finger working the oil in to small areas. That takes about 1-2 hours per coat, let it sit 24 hours then light steel wool then another coat. Yes TC was expensive and namebrand, but i feel that the Lyman product is a :lol: s good and as fast in the locks as my buddies TC . You will not go wrong on that gun!! 8)

I thought the Deerstalker and the GPR used exactly the same lock. The quality of the T/C is way better IMO. I will never buy another mass produced flintlock. My comments would only apply to the percussion versions. I'd rather have a slow twist barrel if possible.

both are made by the same company, the gpr and the deerstalker, cant see why the deerstalker has a better lock than the other rifles made by the same company.

I wouldnt spend $600 on a tc hawken, waaaaay to many good guns out there for half that price, sometimes even a lot less than $300.

Slow twist would be the GPR as its 1:60 twist, great for patched round balls. I'd get a .54cal

I can not comment on the Deerstalker. I have a Lyman Trade Rifle, and it is really a fast lock, and a very accurate rifle. I also own a T/C Hawkins flintlock and it too is a great rifle. I would hate to live on the difference.

If I wanted to look at a good flintlock, I would watch the auction sites.

frontier gander said:
both are made by the same company, the gpr and the deerstalker, cant see why the deerstalker has a better lock than the other rifles made by the same company.

The first year the T/C 3 pellet flintlock was introduced Rich's gun shop got several companies to bring there Flintlocks for testing. Each company had to have three of the same Flintlock in order to compete. These were actual reps of the companies. I also believe distributors where there as well. This was a two day smoke fest for sure. The LYman DeerStalker out shined them all. Locks were better, accuracy was better, Frizzens were better. There was all kinds of tests i dont even remember. Right after that is when i went and bought one. This was 100% independant testing. The way it should be actually. I owned two T/C Renegade's before this. They are gone now.

FG, GPR is a Lyman???????

Everyone can buy what they want, and think what they want. :)

Hence the name Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

I see quite a bit of TC users fitting the lyman frizzen onto their tc flinters.

I had a TC Renegade years ago when I did the PA round ball thing. I also had a CVA Frontier kit gun I put together. That CVA would flat out shoot. A real hole puncher, when it would go off. I had to use the extra hard agate to get it reliable. The TC on the other hand was as reliable as taxes. It didn't set the world on fire for punching paper, but it went off every time. I'm not looking for a bunch of brass and what not. I am really taken with the looks of the Great Plains Rifle. But the sights leave a lot to be desired. The Deerstalker has the sight thing under control, but I'm still on the fence with the carbine appearance of it. I'll tell you though, that short lock time may be what puts one in the old gun safe. Decisions decisions.

No matter what flintlock you get, remember one thing.. bad lock, bad gun. A good lock is worth its weight when you talk flintlocks. A bad lock will make short sparks, and smashed flints for some reason. The Lyman rifles do seem to have a very good lock. Some of the older T/C Flintlocks had a bad lock as the hammer struck half way down the frizzen and the sparks were short. Then they changed the hammer and the frizzens started hitting 3/4 way up. Much better performance.

you cant go wrong w/ the t/c or the lyman deerstalker ... i have both. in fact, bought my t/c (PA hunter carbine) from grouse :D (i did add a 32" barrel that i ordered from fox ridge)

i will say this ... the t/c had to be tweaked to make it reliable. i sent it back to t/c to get the new hammer/frizzen installed. also, i got a trigger job done on it by a gunsmith cause the pull weight was excessive (which cost $$). it works great now. i do feel like the ventliner on it is actually a little TOO big ... you get a lot of blast from the main charge coming out of that gaping hole.

the lyman was reliable right out of box, although i did substitute an RMC liner. it isnt hard on flints, either. trigger pull has noticeable creep, but im not sure if they are all like this.

i prefer the 32" tube on the t/c. the 24" tube on the deerstalker gives good accuracy, though.

if the sights are the only thing bugging you about the GPR, like FG said, those can be replaced. in fact, i recall some posts in the past by a member on this board who substituted some fiber optic sights on his GPR.

Does Fox Ridge have a web site? I did an internet search and didn't come up with one.

Why Mid South Shooters for the GPR? Do they have the best price?

Deer Stalker

I have one in flint and one in percussion in 54. I shoot a 50 cl 350 gr remington bullet. I use 80 gr of 3f black and get 2 inch groups at 75 yds. I also get good groups with a 444 powerbelt and 80 gr of black. Both are 1x48. I also have a 54 GM smooth bore barrel for each gun.

Back