I can use either or.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonE

Reaction score
Well headed back up to the gravel pit and as luck would have it I could set up at 50 yards. I don't practice for hunting beyond that because we simply don't really get the opportunity for shots beyond 50 in our wooded areas.

This first photo is quite common, the center tree is 39 yards from where I was, using a laser range finder.
S0108513.jpg

After putting up my target stand, I used my pronghorn target again with an orange marker of "Point of Aim" referencing from shooting benched rested. This first shot is a 240gr patch round ball using 90 gr of Alliant Black Mz instead of real black powder. The taped holes are from the other day, when I used only Elephant FFFg for my shooting, and decided I was tired of the fouling and wanted the pleasure of shooting more today.

S0058502.jpg

The second shot I used a 425gr Hornady Great Plains Bullet and 90 gr of Alliant Black Mz as well.

2-shot-group.jpg

Afterwards I thought, lets see if I can do this again.... so I hung my 10" AR500 gong in front of the previously shot area.

First using the 240gr patch round ball and then the 425gr Hornady Great Plains Bullet. Now remember as with any muzzleloader, position has to be broken by having to get up, pour the powder down the barrel run the patched round ball or conical, sit back down, cap the nipple and take aim and set the trigger, then fire.

Great-Plains-Rifle-Accuracy.jpg

According to barrel twist experts, they tell me the 425gr Horady Great Plains Bullet will not be accurate in my 1:60 twist barrel, since it's only made for Patched Round Ball. I like testing the theory and I say they are wrong. :hurray:

Nice shooting and post 'Walker👍
--------------------------------------
p.s. I like hunting the woodlands. 50 yard accuracy is all you need for a good stalk or ground blind.

That's a great situation... Don't change anything! The best of both worlds.

Nice shooting! I wish 50 yds was the only shot opportunity where I hunt. Unfortunately around here you’re always tempted with a longer shot... Seems like they’re always just out of range or pushing your max range. Hard to hold off sometimes :confused:

Nice shooting! I wish 50 yds was the only shot opportunity where I hunt. Unfortunately around here you’re always tempted with a longer shot... Seems like they’re always just out of range or pushing your max range. Hard to hold off sometimes :confused:
You have your own set of challenges with open country.

Hanshi, most of my hunting will be done with the patched round ball.... I had the HGPB on hand, so I figured why not try them. I prefer the good ol PRB :cool:

Hanshi, most of my hunting will be done with the patched round ball.... I had the HGPB on hand, so I figured why not try them. I prefer the good ol PRB :cool:

I've always hunted exclusively with prb, and i know just how effective they are. Paper ballistics mean nothing when it comes to the round ball.

I also like getting close. It is rare for me to pick up anything but my bow or the 'ol Renegade these days. The only CF I've shot in the last several years is my pistols to stay sharp with them.

I sure wish my Renegade would throw PRB's and Hornady GPB's to the same POI. It likes to throw the conicals quite a bit right of my PRB zero.

I also like getting close. It is rare for me to pick up anything but my bow or the 'ol Renegade these days. The only CF I've shot in the last several years is my pistols to stay sharp with them.

I sure wish my Renegade would throw PRB's and Hornady GPB's to the same POI. It likes to throw the conicals quite a bit right of my PRB zero.
I like getting close as well, especially during muzzle loader season.

Yup, 50 yds. in the eastern upper coastal states could put you in the next state or two😊

Exactly! 50 yards in the east, Georgia, Virginia, West Virginia and Maine, is a pretty long shot. I've only killed three deer that I knew for sure were farther than that. The majority ranged from 30 yds to a few feet. That's the kind of hunting I really love.

Latest posts

Back