200gr 45 FTX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Anyone tried these? They are made for the 460Rem Mag running between 1900 and 2250fps. Kind of odd for such a light weight so im curious how well they will hold together in my "redneck" media test....a milk jug and 2 soaked phone books. :lol:

The 250gr, 300gr and 325gr FTX/SSTs have held up pretty good to this test with average (100gr) charges.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx ... um_ftx.pdf

The ballistic coefficient sucks but they might make a nice lighter recoil option. I have some magnum sub bases and a few different sabots i wanted to try in my Ovation loaded a bit hotter.

Both the Hornady .452 200 gr. and the 250 gr. FTX bullets are made with "thicker" jackets than the .452 250 gr. SST or the 250 gr. shock-wave.

Both FTX bullets will hold up to anything when shot from a ML rifle at Ml velocitys.

Hornady would prefer that T-C change the shock-wave tip to the flex tip just to make the maufacturing process easier but T-C has not authorized the change and will likely not. Hornady has performed exaustive tests on the "flex-tip" bullet and claims it opens much faster than the hard plastic tip presently used in the SST or shock-wave bullet.

Chocdog

i had the same idea

i wondered about the .452 flex tip 200 grain bullet. if anybody does have info i would love to have it. i feel that would be a flat shootin whitetail load. or at least a good excuse to play with my muzzleloader

Ive shot a few from my Win Apex with 100gr or less and they shoot ok in shorter sabots. I dont load it hot but i do shoot some stiff charges and weights in my Ovation.

Its got a better quality barrel IMO but its 1-24" twist. I hammered a nice deer with it this year using the 300gr SST and easy load (red) sabots. Sucker kicks like a mule though.

Sounds like a fun excuse to blow up some milk jugs and burn some powder while the other gun cools down. :lol:

FTX 200

Also have a post on Doug's. I found this bullet to be as accurate as one can get, both in my Encore, and Knight, out to 100 yards, havn't shot further. Using BH 209, and T7 Mag pellets, with MMP short black sabots. Shot one 80 Lb. deer at 70 yards. One neat little hole clean through the longs, (destroyed them ) and out the other side. The deer went 40 yards,without a blood trail. the bullet never opened up. Had I hit bone I am sure the damage would have been much greater. Can't tell you the speed,but that bullet is moving. I shoot this same bullet in my .460 pistol and at 100 yards it has a hell of a whollop. Hope that helps ya. :wink: GEORGE

Back