777 load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_42367

Reaction score
I have a question about 777. The guy I bought my ML from said he shot 250 gr. T/C Shockwave sabots with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. I'm planning on using 777 with the same bullet. Does that sound right? I'll be hunting whitetail at between 50 and 75 yds.

A lot will depend on what your rifle likes. Start with 90 grains if you like, see what kind of accuracy you get. Maybe move up in powder or down. Just make sure you do not exceed the powder ability of the rifle.

nothing wrong with T 7 pellets i use them all the time ..the 250 gr. T/C Shockwave is the same as the HORNADY SST ...HORNADY makes the bullets for T/C ..both are very accurate and i have never heard anybody say that they did not groupe well ...but for hunting they're are better bullets out there ..but its your call ...

technically in a pefect world, triple seven is claimed to be 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS. So if you shot 100 grains of Pyrodex RS, then 85 grains of Triple Seven should give you the same velocity.

The thing you are going to discover is, rate of burn is different. And while 90 grains of Pyrodex RS shoots great, 90 grains of Triple Seven might shoot just as good or better. So again, all you can do is try the powder. Triple Seven IMO is a great powder. As is Pyrodex.

Personally, I'd reduce that load when using 777 as it is definitely hotter than RS and that load might not produce your best accuracy.
I've shot the 300gr SSTs and get amazing accuracy with them using 80gr of 2fg 777 out of my old Knight; but raising the charge above that reduces accuracy noticeably with just 5gr more powder.

BTW, that 80gr load shoots 1500fps at the muzzle out of a short 22" barrel and at 75 yds the holes will be touching one another.

But you need to see what your rifle likes best, go to the range and start with 80gr, then 85, then 90 and see what the groupings tell you. You might find that 90gr might give you slightly looser groups, but still acceptable for hunting Plus giving more ooomph for the kill.

Back