I am Picking Your brains

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Enthusiast

Reaction score
In short I can not find a .490 round ball mold (at a decent price) I have ordered a .500 I realize the difference I also know I can use a thinner patch What I do not know is if 15th patch size would be adequate or should I go thinner? Yes for those wondering I am getting into casting round balls. For 3-4 months now I have been e-baying for molds and well I am not going to spend $50-$75 plus $8-$20 for shipping for a USED mold that ran $21 12 months ago brand new

All my molds are Lee and have been using them for years not near that costly and they work just fine.

I think you are going to find it very difficult to load a .500 ball with a patch in a .50 caliber gun without using a short starter and a heavy duty range rod. If it does load, you might find it is very accurate, alot will depend on the type of rifling in the bore.

Lee mold, plenty of .490 molds on ebay and other places like track of the wolf.

.500 won't do you any good, especially with a patch.

CVA Enthusiast, let me check my stash of molds. I know I have a couple of .490's some where. All of my .50's use either .495 or .500. One of my barrels was made by a friend and when he called me he said it was a ut-oh :oops: barrel. It mic'd .505 after he cleaned up the riflings. He had a mold made for me by Rapine when he shipped the barrel. I have been shooting it since 1981 and it is still competition accurate.
I will know sometime today. Stay tuned. :)
Mike

I have NIB Lee Dbl Cavity 490/176g w/handles & Lee NIB Dbl Cavity .50cal REAL bullet 250g w/handles. I intended to pour my own but I don't have the rest of required equipment. As little as I shoot, I just buy them by the box at Cabela's or Sportsman's.
Will sell, contact me.

Lee will (or used to, anyway) sell their molds factory direct.

https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/black-powder-molds/round-ball-mold
Good Lord, the manufacturer is out of stock! What is the world coming to? I was going to pick up a .50 brass brush at Walmart the other day, and their black powder section was EMPTY! It gasts my flabber, for sure!
LOL At least your Wal Mart has a black powder section. They don't even know what it is here in Orangeburg, SC.

Especially here in Rochester NY!

So I live in California and ordered a LEE .490 RB mold last week from the Gun Works in Oregon.
It arrived in Sacramento 2 days ago which is about 30 minutes from my house.
Then USPS sent it to Buffalo NY. :mad: which sent it to Rochester NY. o_O
Now it is back out shipping to who knows where? maybe your house 🤣

Talk about the long way home! I have had UPS move my package around like that a little but not that far away. I thought it was to stretch the delivery time out because I chose the cheaper delivery option.

I've used Lee molds for years ,never had a problem.. not to far from you , I live in Forestville N.Y.,,,,45 min east of Buffalo.......

Latest posts

Back