New Hawken/Plains rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paia

Reaction score
I finally got the rifle a friend has been building for me AND got a replacement for the camera that died a couple weeks ago, so I took both new toys to the range today.

The rifle is fullstock Hawken percussion .54. It has a Getz barrel w/1:56 twist, an L&R lock and set triggers, and a maple stock.

It is not a copy of any true Hawken rifle, but it is close enough for me. I got it the way I wanted although some of the features are kind of a mix of early Hawkens vs. later Hawkens...

The triggers have the early style straight front trigger and the stock has a straight cheek piece--these were usually on early (often flint) Hawkens, but I don't like the later curved trigger and beavertail cheekpiece as much. Also I think the trigger guard is an earlier style than seen on later percussion Hawkens.

Also the barrel is lighter than I think you would find on a true Hawken, but with the strength of today's steel I just did not need or want the weight of a 1" or larger barrel. The barrel on my rifle is 1" at the breech and tapers to 7/8" at the muzzle--the rifle weighs 8 lbs. 6 ounces and carries very nicely.

I have put about 50 balls through it and it shoots very well. I have been testing loads and not worrying about POI too much yet. It seems to like 90 grains of Goex3F for hunting, and 70 for target shooting, with a PRB.

We had a visiter at the 50 yd line this morning too. The shooting did not bother her a bit, but I guess she's used to the noise and there is no hunting at my Fish & Game, so why should she be nervous?
IMGP0027.jpg

IMGP0029.jpg

IMGP0030.jpg

IMGP0013.jpg

IMGP0019.jpg

paia

Shoot Paia, that is one good looking tool... it is beautiful.

Even the target deer at your shooting back stop looks real - you have a really good camera also....

that is a beautiful rifle there... I bet that's a good shooter.

Its funny how those animals get used to shooting and walk right out where and when we are on the range. But they sure seem to know when it is hunting season.

Thatt is one nice looking piece of work you got there !!!!

ONE OF A KIND

flinty

I really like the look and line on that gun. I especially like tthe way you had the barrel reduced in size to lighten. It doesn't sound like the reduction hurt you in recoil either.

Re: flinty

Bucker said:
I really like the look and line on that gun. I especially like tthe way you had the barrel reduced in size to lighten. It doesn't sound like the reduction hurt you in recoil either.

In a T-shirt off the bench that narrow Hawken butt plate bites a little, but kneeling or off hand it is very comfortable. Most of my summer shooting will be with 60 to 70 grains anyway, once I get the sights set the way I want.

With heavier clothes in the fall and winter I don't think recoil will be an issue at all.

Thank you for the nice comments about the rifle. I'll post some targets and load development and chronograph info soon.

Back