BH209 and knight elite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottNM

Reaction score
I read this on sticky for BH209 powder "XLT
ANY Knight Extreme action NOT using the FPJ-Domed breechplug "

I have a knight ELITE SS. Does this have the FPJ-Domed breechplug?

If so, what powder is good for this setup. I want to switch from pellets and test consistency.

May want to take out your breech plug and check. Does it look like the powder side of the breech plug has a dome (convex) end or is it recessed (concave)?

I have only come across three types of breech plugs for my elite so far;

1) FPJ - concave - works for BH209.
2) NFPJ - convex - works for BH209.
3) FPJ - powerstem - I am told that this one is not good for BH209.

Reese said:
May want to take out your breech plug and check. Does it look like the powder side of the breech plug has a dome (convex) end or is it recessed (convex)?

I have only come across three types of breech plugs for my elite so far;

1) FPJ - concave - works for BH209.
2) NFPJ - convex - works for BH209.
3) FPJ - powerstem - I am told that this one is not good for BH209.

Reese,

You have (convex) listed twice in your post, the second one should be concave.

There is also another plug that works in the Knight Disc Extreme/Elite, it is the Revolution II plug I believe? I don't have one personally, but that one is a FPJ domed (convex) that has a smaller diameter flame channel and .027" flash hole IIRC.

I think lane or wayles, maybe both have modified these plugs to work with BH209 as they were not reliable as supplied. They drilled the flame channel larger & deeper, and increased the diameter of the flash hole as well. They reported less blowback with the FPJ's in this modified domed plug over the standard concave plug as supplied.

ScottNM,

I'm sure your Elite would have the standard plug in it (unless someone replaced it), the FPJ concave that is compatible with BH209. This plug has a larger diameter flame channel and flash hole.

Is your Elite a .45 or .50? The .45's I have create more blowback than the .50's because of greater pressure.

Busta said:
Reese,

You have (convex) listed twice in your post, the second one should be concave.

Thanks for catching it and I have edited it. I looked that over several times to make sure I had typed it correctly and I still missed it.

Busta said:
The .45's I have create more blowback than the .50's because of greater pressure.

I have been very pleased with the little bit of blowback I am getting with my .45 using the NFPJ conversion. Win 209's fit very snug and these are the ones I have been using. Closing the bolt on Fed 209A or a Rem STS seem to cause them to be compressed to fit. I have to really pull on the bolt handle to remove them from the breech plug.

Latest posts

Back