Mountain Rifle has been stained!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
I couldnt help myself! First i started with 3 coats of birchwood casey walnut and liked the color. It hit me that i had some dark walnut *oil stain i think) left over from when i did 2 other rifles. So i mixed it up and used a thin coating across the entire stock and rubbed it off with a rag. I got the color i wanted.

only one picture turned out ok. I will take some pics tomorrow outside so the curl shows better.
Picture092.jpg

I also will be using Sabotloaders recipe for a dull tru-oil finish. That should really bring out the curl!

Now i only need to buy a 45 and 50cal mountain rifle in percussion and then start all over again with the flintlocks :cry:

She's turning out fine after all these months of having it on the wall and doing a little work here and there.

this one has a deer creek .58cal barrel which is rifled on the douglas machine. Doesnt say made in spain, nor does is say made in USA. for some reason deer creek doesnt mark theirs.

which did you have in mind? After this i will be done with refinishing my rifles and try to get back to knife making. Could always use another rifle to play with.

get you to play with my pos oops, my tc new englander. :lol:

see if you have any better luck. what ya think.

almost thinking of following dave's move and go on and save up and get an 12ga barrel for it. :wink:

one of the things I was getting, I am going to get tomorrow, found an bow for sale at an pawn shop for $50. going to pick it up tomorrow.

:evil: have to strip the entire stock, stain and tru oil. I had 4 coats on it and buffed with 0000 steel wool and it went down to fast and took out the color in parts of the stock.

What a bummer. I am going to go with gloss the next go around and find some BC Conditioner that will help cut the glare down.

i'll look for that as a second option. I have a couple days worth of work ahead of me now. Tru-oil is a PITA to get off. Well, with sandpaper and stripper it is. Obviously it comes off like snot on a sleeve with steel wool

I usually use something like MEK or Xylene to get it off. Even mineral spirits should clean it right off if it's not very old.

well it took me the entire day, just finished putting all the trim and stuff back on. I used a lot of bleach water to get it white again and then i doubled up on the BC walnut stain, 6 coats this time and then 2 coats of the dark walnut oil stain made her a purdy chocolate brown. Im actually happier with this stain color. Very dark.

Tomorrow i get to take everything back off *i was worried about the stock swelling from all the water* and then i get to rub on my first coat of tru-oil. Someone told me to mix in some BLO so i have more time to work with it.

It looks real nice. My biggest problem with Tru-Oil is that it dries too fast.

Swampman said:
It looks real nice. My biggest problem with Tru-Oil is that it dries too fast.

yeah the guys over on americanlongrifle told me to mix some boiled linseed oil in with it and i'll have more time to work it in the stock. Its also a PITA to touch up when a scratch or nick gets on the stock.

Back