Hunting in New England

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
Hunting in October is a great time to be out in the woods. Leaves are turning and the acorns are falling. I went out hunting this evening but also to pick up my trail cam. Unfortunately nothing on it today but me.
3EMnAt0.jpg

I can hunt 1/2 hour after sunset. Sunset today was at 6:06 p.m. The pic below gave me 5 more minutes to hunt.
U9Vo16z.jpg

Last edited:
I do a lot of squirrel hunting this time of year, but I am also looking for deer sign and activity too. I want to see what they are eating, where the oaks or beeches are dropping nuts and where bucks are rubbing trees and making scrapes. Helps me prepare for deer season, and gets me into "woods" mode.

I do a lot of squirrel hunting this time of year, but I am also looking for deer sign and activity too. I want to see what they are eating, where the oaks or beeches are dropping nuts and where bucks are rubbing trees and making scrapes. Helps me prepare for deer season, and gets me into "woods" mode.
I could not have summed-it-up any better.
I didn't see any deer yesterday nor rutting activity indicators. Acorns were abundant everywhere...which unfortunately doesn't force the deer to move much. I was a bit concerned with a few pesky skeetters buzzing around once the sun went down. EEE has been a huge concern this year in the Massachusetts.

I am starting to see some buck activity. A few rubs and scrapes. The oaks in my area took hits two years in a row from the gypsy moths. Only a few trees are bearing any acorns. The beeches however, seem to be producing quite well this year. The turkeys and the deer are gobbling them up as soon as they fall. After this last wind storm, the ground under a few trees was covered with beech nuts. Deer season can't get here soon enough.

Latest posts

Back