Hudson Bay Capote

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Found this one locally!! 100% wool. Nice thick capote! Been wanting a real one and when I was taking a buddy back a couple pistols I repaired, I got to go inside his friends shop and on the way out I asked about the capote and he said try it on. Fit like a glove! I paid the man and watched them work on a elk hide they were brain tanning. I don't know if I could do that kinda work! Looks back breaking.

Attachments

• 76775138_10157086834242875_9204255498197532672_o.jpg
    76775138_10157086834242875_9204255498197532672_o.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 18
i tell you, its a good thing i had this gun! Its nice using an original and not a modern reproduction.

That's a great looking piece of clothing! That length makes all the difference in keeping your body core warm.

HBC and Witney "Point Blankets" are very close to the same weight, Witney is the older blanket manufactured in England by several hundred years. Woolrich stores handled them from when the start of their business up to now. At the end of the fur trade these blanket became the blanket of choice. The white point blankets are more fluffy with not being dyed and were the most popular in winter (blend with the snow background).

WITNEY (over 300 years in the blanket business)
Witney had first supplied the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) with woven goods as early as 1681 but the town did not become a major provider to it until the 1730s, when James Empson started receiving regular HBC orders. One of the earliest definite records we have for the supply of point blankets comes in December 1779, when five hundred pairs of 'pointed' blankets were ordered by the HBC from the firm of Thomas Empson (James' son). The demand for points then seems to have increased rapidly until the fur trade reached its height in the early 19th century.

WOOLRICH
The company was founded in 1830 by John Rich and Daniel McCormick, and originally located at a mill on Little Plum Run Pennsylvania. By 1834, Rich and McCormick decided to move their operations to a location with a better water supply at Chatham's Run in Pine Creek Township. They bought 300 acres and first built a sawmill; around 1845 the company (by then solely owned by John Rich) relocated to a new mill at the Chatham's Run location. This 1845 mill no longer exists in its original configuration, but its location remains the site of Woolrich's main operations and its surrounding community. The town was first called Factoryville, later Richville, and after 1888 was named Woolrich.

We had over a 100 of these blankets at one time (purchased in the 50's and 60's when collecting them wasn't popular). Sold most of them in the 90's at 10 - 15 times the purchase price. Collecting is all about the mighty buck today $$$.

I kept a dozen of the rarest point blankets (most valuable today), baby blankets, unusual colors and hard to find sizes. We are contacted all the time by collectors wanting to keep their names on a list if we decide to sell and contact them ....

Latest posts

Back