need good full bore bullet recommendations ,also sight help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew_h

Reaction score
hey guys looking for a good full bore bullet for my .50cal t/c thunder-hawk . will be used for white-tail deer hunting up to 50 yards max . and any coyote or feral hog that i happen to see while deer hunting .

i want to use open sights to take a deer this year , but i have some trouble with the sights on my t/c . mostly that the front sight is a little banged up . is there a metal fiber optic replacement available ?

I never experimented much with mine but i used the TC Maxis in the 54 and they were good enough for the ranges i was shooting. Its far from what i consider a really good option but they humanely killed 5 deer they hit.

I did find it shot "short for caliber" bullets in sabots fairly well in a 1-38. The smallest Barnes 275gr MZ 54x50 was deadly in mine at brush ranges. The slower twist will probably have an interesting learning curve if you are used to 1-28 or faster twist guns.

Contact PR bullets. They have a variety of expensive conicals in various weights to accommodate many twists. So far in my Elite 45 they have been one of the most accurate of any bullet ive tried.

They guy i talked to got me to try a monster 45-360gr tipped conical in my Elite and he was right. Its sub MOA and i had serious doubts it would work well in my 1-30 twist Elite.

Checkout their twist rate chart to at least give you an idea of what MIGHT work for you.

There are a number of conical bullets you can try. The first thought would be the T/C Maxiball. It will knock down anything you want to shoot and normally with a moderate powder charge of 80 grains is pretty accurate. At the ranges you are talking it would be all you need.

Another bullet is some of the No Excuses in a 460 grain. They come .503 diameter and are normally accurate in the faster twist rifles.

Then there are powerbelts. A lot of people hate them and other love them. I think their key is not to push them too hard, but I have never killed a game animal with them. The photos of the animals I have seen harvested with them was impressive to say the least.

Some expensive conicals that might work are Thor. I never shot them but Frontier Gander swears by them. Also Hornady makes a conical like a Shockwave on steroids. I have shot them. I think they are called the FPB's and they were accurate.

Another cheaper conical I have shot with good luck are called Sabertooth Conicals. Get the largest you can find. 80 grain of powder and they shot well out of any rifle I tried them in. But again, I have not harvested game with them.

I shoot Bull Shop conicals. But I hear he is not taking orders for them right now.

And as for the front sight... see if T/C has any of the standard metal front sights that would fit that rifle. Then paint it White. It works for me and you can not hurt them.

Thor without a doubt. A bit expensive for paper shooting, but come hunting season, you'll have the best in the field and thats no BS.

300 gr Hornady FPBs! More than adequate in every way for whitetails (I use the 350s on elk) and quite a bit cheaper than powerbelts or thors.

If money not a problem, 250 gr Thors would be my choice.

A lot of other good choices given above. All will be more than adequate.

Back