Scratch the 357.Found a GEM

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found a finish worn but otherwise little used Remington 722 .300 Savage. Serial # 439xx and the rear bridge is not drilled and tapped.She shows evidence of being carried much and shot little.The primer ring on the bolt face is barely visable.Saw her on the rack at Cabelas in Hamburg Pa. and she spoke to me. had to give her a good home...I love finish worn rifles and the old .300 is one of the best rounds out there.This is going to be FUN.Got to find the correct aperture rear sight for her, preferably made of steel...

That is a nice find, now you need a Remington 722 in 257 roberts to match.

Are going to shoot factory or handload??

My grandfathers 1940's Savage 99 300 savage will place 3 rem 150 core-locs touching at 100 yards. It did take a 150 rounds to get the rifle to perform, deep seating the bullets was the cure.

Chocdog

Choc-dog, Definately reloads! Probably goimg to use bullets meant for the .30-30( got a bunch of them) loaded to about 23-2500 fps.Recoil and I aren't exactly friendly ( car accident '05) but I can handle loads in that class.Besides, those nice soft RN .30 cals put deer down NOW.
I've shot 1 deer with the .300 ( a spike with a pre war Model 99).I used Winchester 150 PP factory loads and the 100 yard front quartering shot was a bang-flop.I was most impressed...Anyway, this 722 shows signs of use but excellent care.I hope the barrel's got alot of life left! The rifle fits me very very well and I find it to be an attractive rifle too.Not sure why alot of people consider it a homely rifle. To each his own I suppose.

Used rifles purchased in Pa. only got shot before deer season and a few times maybe during the Pa deer season. The bores are always good but have going up the mountain wear on them.

I used H-4895, R-15 and IMR 4064 and found IMR 4064 the most accurate powder in the M-99 savage. The magazine limits the 300 savage over-all length, a issue you likely won't have with a remington 722 box magazine.

With the very short neck of the 300 savage case I always rotated the case 3 times( lifting the press handle) when seating the bullet to "LIMIT" bullet run out.

Chocdog

Back