Trying different bullets in the 10ML BP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I had a little time Wednesday morning before work. While I SHOULD have been cleaning up the house I decided to go to the range for a couple of hours. I have to say it was great to just get out and shoot!

Pete had graciously sent me a few of the 300gr Nosler Partitions to try. My plans are to take the Savage 10ML BP elk hunting provided I draw a tag. I figured the Partitions would be a perfect bullet for that hunt provided they shoot accurately enough.

First up was the 300gr Partition .458cal. I used the orange MMP .458/50 sabot along with 120gr Blackhorn 209.

IMG_02622.JPG

I starting shooting on a completely clean bore and did nothing other than swab the bore with a clean patch then fired off a primer. Next I loaded up 110gr Blackhorn 209 and that was shot #1(1870fps). You can see shots 2-5 with #3 at the top of the target which were all shot using 120gr BH209. I was thinking #3 went off before I was ready but there was certainly nothing wrong with #4. So even if I discard #3 we're still taking about a two inch group here which isn't going to cut it. BTW rifle was allowed to cool between shots as I was shooting my T/C New Englander on the next table! 8) MV average for the 4, 120gr loads 1980fps.

Next up was the Nosler Partition HG .451 300gr. I used an MMP short black sabot and 120gr BH209:

IMG_0266.JPG

MV- 1996fps

Well it looks as if the Nosler Partitions aren't going to make the cut to get to go elk hunting. :(

Wondering if I was having a bad day I next shot three of the Parker 300gr HydraCons using MMP short black sabot and 120gr Blackhorn 209. So this is going to be shots 9-11 from a clean bore, no swabbing between shots allowed! 8)

IMG_0267.JPG

MV average- 1977fps

That's better and that's a 1.08 inch group. So I guess I'll have to have a shoot-out between the 275gr Ballistic Extreme, 300gr HydraCon, and Barnes 290gr T-EZ FB.

IMG_0269.JPG

It was great to get back to the range! 8)

big6x6

Shoot! I was hoping they, the Nosler's, would do better than that for you.

If you get a chance one time when you are out again try a few .458's in a Harvester short black or a HPH-24. Some of the folks are saying that shooting the Savage with a .458 in a tighter sabot helps a bunch.

Then since the 45 Noslers are .451 - I use the Knight black High pressure sabot in the White as is the thickest 45/50 cal sabot I can find.

Thanks for the report Chuck.

Can you tell us more about the 10ML BP shooting Blackhorn 209 when you get a chance? Especially the new breech plug, any blowback, primer carbon fouling, cleaning. What do you think of the longer barrel, new stock, recoil pad? What length PowerRod are you using with it?

I know you want a bullet with maximum powder for elk hunting, but maybe the 110 grain load would be more accurate? Seems I have several rifles that prefer the 110 grain charge with the majority of bullets. Some other bullets really like to be pushed to the max.

You don't need fire and brimstone to bring down Elk. Go with the loading that provided the best consistancy. Given those groups that your Parkers are getting...I would put the ML away and start sharpening your knives. Your gonna need'm!

Good luck, Hakx

Nice report. Some like the Barnes originals. I hope you draw your tag.

Busta said:
Thanks for the report Chuck.

Can you tell us more about the 10ML BP shooting Blackhorn 209 when you get a chance? Especially the new breech plug, any blowback, primer carbon fouling, cleaning. What do you think of the longer barrel, new stock, recoil pad? What length PowerRod are you using with it?

SURE Busta!
I love the breechplug. Of course with a 5/32 drill bit it can practically be returned to new after each range session which I DO. ALSO...the vent liner is wearing no more quickly than with N-110/SR4759/etc. This is the original ventliner and it is still less than 0.032 inch. Blowback? In one word, zero. It doesn't seem to matter what primer either. Carbon fouling does occur in the breechplug but that is EASILY removed as mentioned above. As far as the longer barrel goes...no doubt I am getting higher velocity than I would with the standard 10ML-II barrel. So at least in MY book for Blackhorn 209 usage, I like it. The stock of course is a BIG improvement over the previous synthetic 10ML stocks. I REALLY like it! Power rod is 26 inches which is the same one I use with Disc Elites/Extreme/etc. I LOVE the recoil pad. This is one of the easiest to shoot muzzleloaders I have and is VERY recoil friendly.

I know you want a bullet with maximum powder for elk hunting, but maybe the 110 grain load would be more accurate? Seems I have several rifles that prefer the 110 grain charge with the majority of bullets. Some other bullets really like to be pushed to the max.

Well you are certainly correct about that. My goal was REALLY 2000fps with a 300gr bullet which I can just ABOUT get with 120grs. Sometimes I even GET to 2000fps. Next step will be to shoot at 200yds and see how the Barnes 290gr T-EZ, 300gr HydraCon, and 275gr Ballistic Extreme do at THAT range. If I can't shoot what I think is adequate(what you think..about 3 inches or less?) I'll drop the powder charge or whatever.

Chuck,

Thanks for the information. If I could keep them inside of 4" at 200, from rested field positions for elk, I think I would be happy. I really prefer to call them in to under 50 yards, so I can see the smoke coming out of their nostrils, glazed over eyeballs, slobber running off their chin, pissing all over the place (both of us) :lol: , just nothing like it. :wink:

Was just trying to remember what the max load is for the 10ML BP, but can't. Sounds like this is the rifle that Knight is trying to make?

.458 300g Barnes Original in a Harvester Black Crush Rib would be on my short list to try.

Back