200 yard inline scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k

Reaction score
i'm going to buy either a leupold vx2 3-9 or a redfield 4-12 for my .45 knight super-disc.i've have not done much shooting past 100yds. as my hunting areas seldom allow even 100yrd. shots but i still want to set up for 2ooyds. just for fun.what do you folks think,would having 12 power be much of an advantage at 200yrds.....karl

I have a Leopold vx1 3x9 on my .45 Knight and have shot deer out to 180 yds, I don't believe I have ever used the top magnification anywhere but at the range.

From what i've read, no it wouldn't at 200 yards. But my nephew shot his big buck at 197 yards (heart shot). His scope was a 14 power if I remember right (no less than 12). He swears by his scope. I've looked at deer at 200 yards with my 3X9 scope and that seemed to have plenty of magnification for a good shot.

At the range and for load development I think the higher power would be nice, but in the field, shooting at deer, 9X is plenty IMO

i have a leupold 4x12 vx-1 on my remington sendero. i like all of the leupolds i own (even the rifleman), but this one is my least favorite. the magnification range makes eye relief a little more sensitive, and it isn't that great clarity-wise past 9x. when i'm hunting with it, i usually just leave it set on 6x.

all that being said, 12x is nice to have at the range. you can really dial it in and shoot some small groups.

stopped at a gun shop today to look over some scopes.so much for having my mind made up,i ended up ordering a 3x12x42 nikon monarch.this is the most expensive scope i've ever purchased.i hope it's worth it......karl

Latest posts

Back