TC shockwaves bonded or not?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro_Hunter

Reaction score
ok guys, im really torn between all I'm hearing about the TC shockwave bullets, In my TC pro hunter they are the most accurate I have shot, easily holding 1.5" groups all day with no flyers, and shoot dead on at 200 yards with my Nikon Omega BDC scope, no doubt the bullet for my gun BUT I dont know if I should go with the bonded or not, I am shooting 150 grain (three 50 grain pellets) of 777 and a 250 grain bullet, Im hearing good things and bad things about each, the "non" bonded coming apart with low weight retention and the "bonded" not expanding enough, where I hunt MOST shots will be within 100 yards but there are chances along fields and in hollows where a 200 yard clear shot is given, Im new to inlines so I'm gonna let you guys with the experience decide for me which bullet, by the way I will only be shooting whitetails with this load, please help my confusion!

Honestly, I would shoot the bullet that is most accurate. Most of the 250 SW disintigration has been with smokeless muzzleloaders and at higher velocities. Many users here have posted success stories with the bullet and it is capable at T-7 speeds. The 250 SW does have a reputation for being fragile and I would keep that in mind when using it. Place it behind the shoulder and the rest will be history.

I have sure read a lot of post of the standard shockwave, placed in the right place bringing down large elk and moose size game. I would think this question boils down to shot placement. If I were hunting deer, the standard would be fine, If elk or moose, maybe the bonded would be a better choice. Like already said, which one is most accurate?

Your Pa whitetails are on the smallish size so if a less than 50 yard shot presents itself and the standard shock- wave holds together (which I am sure it will) you will know you have made the wise choice of bullet.

Results in the "field" will allways be the class room on component choices or future decisions on which bullets to use.

Chocdog

I have yet to have a standard STS or Shockwave fail to perform on deer. In fact I have never recovered one because I get complete passthrough every single time. I've shot deer from 125 yards to point blank and the Shockwave has never let me down.
If I was going to go after something larger or maybe hogs I might invest in the bonded.

PRO_HUNTER:

AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT TAKING A SHOLDER SHOOT THE STANDARD SHOCKWAVES SHOULD BE FINE!

BUT IF YOU WAN'T TO ANKER THEM WERE THEY STAND GO WITH THE BONDED AND A MEDHIGH SHOULDER HIT THEY USUALLY WON'T GO ANYWERE.

JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

LUNGBUSTER1

thanks guys, Im just so confused and dont want to take the chance on losing a nice buck this year, so far I'm leaning towards the bonded as those pictures in that gel scared me!

Pro_Hunter said:
thanks guys, Im just so confused and dont want to take the chance on losing a nice buck this year, so far I'm leaning towards the bonded as those pictures in that gel scared me!

What pics in the gel?

Doohan that testing you did is really excellent. But looking at the standard shockwave and taking into consideration the thickness of a deer, I would think it would still penetrate fine into the major organs and probably through the animal.

Those Parker's are really amazing. If I were after moose, or elk they would have to be considered a great deal...

I agree with you Dave.

I really feel bullet performace is rather subjective. Most ppl here have their own opinions on what they want from a hunting bullet. I'm no different. :wink:

The purpose of the tests is to show what the bullet does into a consistant testing media and report the findings. It's up to the users here to take that information and make their own decisions or at least ask questions and spark some healthy debate!

I'll continue to do more tests as time and $$ provide..

TC shockwaves bonded or not? THAT is the question? With a stiff load such as a 3-pellet load...if I could get the bonded SW to shoot at LEAST as accurate..that's what I would want to use. Saying that..if the standard SW/SST(same bullet) was more accurate..I'd have absolutely no problem using it. Put it where it is supposed to go and it will do the trick. It's worked for me MANY times..

Back