A REALLT DUMB question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowerfortyboy

Reaction score
I have been reading about all the new to me stuff BH 209 triple seven this and pyrdex that carbon rings pulling breech plugs every five shots putting breech plugs finger tight 209 ignition systems why do you gents put yourself through all this when a charge of goex and a CCI magnum#11 cap does the job I loaded the old A&H the day before season here in Ind. now I never take my rifle in where it's warm I leave it exposed to mother natures temp I do try to keep most of the rain off I keep body temp away from that part of the barrel that holds the powder an the last day of muzzle season I shot no hesitation no hang fires just boom and a dead deer I am sorry fellas I just don't understand why you make muzzle loading so difficult

difficult?to me differant guns,powder,bullets.sabots,primers and what have you is the JOY of it....................karl

To each their own but realize that many of us own more than one style of gun and we enjoy all aspects of this sport.

Also what works for one does not always work for another. Different climates, humidity, temps, etc. There is no set answer in muzzle loading which I think it its appeal to us. I enjoy the fact that what works in one rifle might not work in an identical rifle. I own numerous rifles and each one of them is treated as an individual. Glad to hear your A&H worked so well for you.

It's not difficult--it's interesting and effective. What was difficult was reading your post--try a little punctuation. You're making my head hurt :p

Sorry I gave you a headache, didn't mean to cause you pain. Just trying to figure out why black powder shooters quit using black powder.

Lowerfortyboy said:
Sorry I gave you a headache, didn't mean to cause you pain. Just trying to figure out why black powder shooters quit using black powder.

I shoot patched round balls and Swiss and Goex black powder all the time in my .54 Berks Co. style flintlock, my .54 full stock percussion Hawken rifle and my .45 Vincent/Ohio style percussion rifle. I prefer black in my traditional sidelocks, but love Blackhorn 209 in my inlines. If other folks want to shoot 777 and Pyrodex, etc. in their various muzzleloaders, good for them. It's still a semi-free country.

This the "Modern Muzzleloader" website, not the "Modern Black Powder-only" website.

95% of my shooting is done with Black Powder. I like Goex but also shoot a lot of Graf's & Sons.

Lots of folks don't have local access to real BP, so shoot substitutes. I don't know that the distributors will ship less than a case, add the UPS HAZMAT fee, and the price is more than a lot of folks care to pay. Add the fact that some localities don't allow more than a pound, possibly 5, and you should see the reason that the substitutes are becoming more popular.

I think that its crazy to consider BP an explosive while the substitutes are propellants. The BATF and insurance don't make it easy on the dealers either.

I have flint and percussion sidelock guns as well as an inline. The latter was purchased specifically as a hunting rifle, but the others are more fun to shoot. The percussion rifle gets the nod when doing a lot of walking or hunting in the thick stuff.

Access? I can not recall ever seeing real BP here in this corner of VT...though, someone recently gave me a can of GoexFF. It's still on the shelf. I've been shooting Pyrodex since I got my first ML 20 years ago, and for years it never occurred to me that I should try anything else.
When I got my first inline last year, I bought AP and T7 to compare with the Pdx. Had Goex been on the shelf at the store, I am not sure I would have thought to try it....
I'm saving that can of Goex for my first cannon 8)

Aha I wondered if the gov. regulations might have reared their ugly head. I know black powder is definately not a favorite of insurance companies, but I thought possibly over the years they might have worked out the problem guess not.

No body stocks BP in my part of the world, I shoot the subs in my sidelock (New Englans) and my in-line, Trad Buckhunter.

Latest posts

Back