Thoughts on the "Spinjag" concept

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I stumbled across the Spinjag Loader the other day and ordered one based on what seems like a good idea for seating the sabot - allowing it to rotate unrestricted with the rifling. They have a combo tool for both loading and swabbing but I went wih just the loader.

I got to thinking for my centerfires, I have cleaning jags and a Dewey rod that allows the jag to rotate in the barrel. But my ml jags, whether attach to my ramrod or on a dedicated cleaning rod, do not spin. I would think that a non-spinning jag would only clean the lands and not the grooves whereas if it were allowed to spin, it would maintain constant pressure and contact throughout the grooves. So I modified my new jag this way and it works perfectly - I'll probably get sued when they find out.

Just wonder if this could be another contributer to the so called "flyers"?

tpcollins
I use bearing to allow things to spin free on both ends [my range rod has bearings in the handle too. My idea is if you force any slippage between the sabot and the bullet when loading the bullet will slip easier when the gun is fired if the bullet does not spin as much it can cause some thing between a minor POI shift to complete instability depending on how much it slips. Lee

tpcollins said:
I stumbled across the Spinjag Loader the other day and ordered one based on what seems like a good idea for seating the sabot - allowing it to rotate unrestricted with the rifling. They have a combo tool for both loading and swabbing but I went wih just the loader.

I got to thinking for my centerfires, I have cleaning jags and a Dewey rod that allows the jag to rotate in the barrel. But my ml jags, whether attach to my ramrod or on a dedicated cleaning rod, do not spin. I would think that a non-spinning jag would only clean the lands and not the grooves whereas if it were allowed to spin, it would maintain constant pressure and contact throughout the grooves. So I modified my new jag this way and it works perfectly - I'll probably get sued when they find out.

Just wonder if this could be another contributer to the so called "flyers"?

A non-rotating patch and jag or bore brush does not clean near as well as a rotating assembly. I agree that good rotating rods or attachments are the way to go but there is a very simple solution.

When you attach the jag or brush screw it into the ramrod until seated then back it out a couple turns-------it can now rotate as needed.

I was using one (until it broke). I really liked them. It just made things easier to get down and back up the barrel. I just have not gotten around to ordering another one.

I have an original Spinjag, a Spinjag Loader and now a Spinjag Starter. They all serve a purpose and I wouldn't load or clean with anything else after using them. I think the rotating concept really makes a difference.

I believe it's chiefs pro clean that sells a USA universal spin adapter
it stays on the rod and you attatch the jag of your choice
I have one and love it

www.chiefsproclean.com

If you have trouble finding one you can make them fairly easy, it does not get difficult unless you put bearings in. Lee

Back