A little more 10ML BP shooting...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Got to the range a little late today but really needed to shoot SOME... I'm shooting only 275gr bullets and UP in this rifle for now.. Actually Blackhorn 209 is more efficient with heavier bullets too... Not much of a velocity improvement to got to a lighter bullet...

First up was 110gr BH209 and 300gr SST/HPH-12 Sabot:

IMG_0208.JPG

I hate this bullet didn't shoot any better.... I don't think there is any use to try 120gr..

Next up 300gr Parker Hydra Con/MMP short black sabot..

IMG_0209.JPG

1.11 inches... DEFINITELY possibilites... Good bullet and I'd use it...

Next...275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme again with 120gr...

IMG_0212.JPG

1.07 inches... Another possibility....

Finally I tried a 300gr Barnes Original .458 in a Harvester Crush rib;

IMG_0211.JPG

EVERYTHING doesn't always shoot well!

IMG_0213.JPG

300gr SST, 300gr Parker HydraCon, 275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme, 300gr Barnes Original

big6x6

Glad you got out to do some shooten... It has been raining here most of the day - did shoot trap this morning and planned to some BH sperimenting in the afternoon but the rains came...

That 275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme target looks really good - looks like something you might have to do additional testing with... I might have to run out to Troy and see I can get the Parker bros. to let me try some of them for the heck of it. Actually the bros live here in Moscow - Bob is in Troy...

I wish I could swing one of those Savages. I have had 3 different Savage Accu Trigger centerfires, and would love to try a Muzzyloader. Sweet shootin' there pardner.

BO?

I don't know what that 4th bullet in the pic is.....but it is not a .458 Barnes Original?

big6x6,

I guess if you needed to go shoot something tomorrow, those BE's would work just fine! As far as the Barnes Originals. I think the popular version is the SSP. You might want to give it a try. However, that flat point shouldn't be that much different. It looks just like the 300 grain Remington hollow points. They are usually pretty accurate as well.

Any idea of where the velocity was ?

Looks good Chuck! Blowing and snow here ... been itching to get out and the weather has kept the guns cold.

Lots of bullets out there but I just can't get past the 275 BE's. They have a wonderful way of making things dead real fast.

Chuck,,,,seriously,,,,have you ever tried the BEs in yer White?? I'd like to find a good "saboted bullet" for the 91s. I'm thinking the 300gr. XTPs might be the ticket. 8)

375 SSB's are all ya need lead head! :D

275BE's are a bit undersized for that .504 bore IMHO.

With the crushrib you will be getting as big as you can get... I was thinking BH209 but a healthy load of swiss may prove to work very well.

:think:

Chuck,

Hurry up and get to the range! lol

Batchief909

Why wouldn't they work.... I shoot MMP short black sabot in my U-Mag all the time - they work darn well....

110 grain of T7-2f - 260 grain Nosler - MMP short black - sub in the BE for the Nosler and you are set...

I think I said they wouldn't work so well. I stand corrected!

Bat. One with the plastic! I'm gonna pinch myself!

Doohan said:
375 SSB's are all ya need lead head! :D

275BE's are a bit undersized for that .504 bore IMHO.

I've shot a FEW sabots in my White .504.. Now JJ is on to something here...WHAT I don't know!

ANYWHO....Parker bullets are .450 in diameter...a true .45.....PERSONALLY....if someone said "What sabot for a White .504?" I'd say a 300gr .452 XTP and a MMP short black sabot...or maybe a Speer 300gr .452 Gold Dot or 300gr SST... That's exactly what I'd try..

Chuck,

Hurry up and get to the range! lol

UNFORTURATELY it's be a week from Wednesday at best! :(

Latest posts

Back