Hot Sauce

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I loves me some hot sauce. I make tons of my own with home grown peppers. There are some brands ive tried that really stick out

Pex Peppers hot sauce has some crazy good hot sauce and nearly all are super low sodium. His Pueblo Red is fantastic for a mild sauce. Probably one of the best ive tried. His super hot sauces are SUPER HOT so beware. Some are brutal.

Lola's Fine Hot Sauce has an entire line based on ripe jalapeno. She adds habanero, ghost, scorpion or reapers to her line up. While that sounds hot none of them are super hot at all but they have excellent flavor. All her sauces but one are also super low sodium. Lowes is selling them now so if you want to try one without buying online look them up....I highly recommend Lola's ghost pepper sauce. Its just barely hotter than Tabasco but soooo much better.

Tabasco Family Reserve....Im not a Tabasco fan but the Family Reserve is excellent and expensive. The Sweet and Spicy is super mild and wonderful for a "Thai Style" sweet chile sauce. The Scorpion is pretty good and quite hot for a commercial mass produced hot sauce.

Burns and McCoy if you really like to sweat. The Exhoressco will flat out light you up with his 7 Pot Primo peppers. It rates right up there with the super hot sauces from Pex. Low sodium, blistering heat and great flavor.

So what hot sauce do you guys like?

The jalapeno, serrano and hatch looks great but i would need sodium amount listed. Like i said i make tons of my own hot sauce. Some are down right brutal. My last brutal batch i fermented for just over a year before i blended it down. I call it Capital Punishment. Its a mix of ............
12 Brown supers (Mystery pepper sold as Reaper seeds that ended up producing brown Reaperish looking pods)
12 Death Spiral
5 Numex Orange Spice (deseeded)
1 really large sweet red bell (deseeded)
2 Tbs Korean sea salt
1 Tsp sugar
2 cups of bottled water 5.9pH
2 Tbs homemade kraut juice
1 Tbs Champagne vinegar 7%

These pods were just nasty. :D
HhuVK4M.jpg

pF819Hp.jpg

MhG6fwp.jpg

:lewis: :roll:

Last edited:
I have tried STUPID SMOKE, LIQUID SMOKE in 5 ALARM CHILI and they ruined it. UBER HOT, you could not taste the chili at all. not good ones. jmho.

and they look just soooo goood setting there waiting to be eaten!!

I think I'll stick with Frank's Hot Sauce, buy it by the Qt
I get Valentinas hot sauce in huge bottles too for cheap. The puya peppers they use have a interesting flavor. A 34oz bottle is like $3. When it comes to cayenne pepper based sauce i really prefer Crystals to Franks. Its also dirt cheap. I do love some hot wings made with Franks though.
:lewis: :dance2:

Last edited:
I think I'll stick with Frank's Hot Sauce, buy it by the Qt
in my neck of the woods, they are making FRANK,S HOT SAUSE. in potato chips. they are great! also made are jalapeño chips. HOT IS EHERE IT IS AT!!!

I get Valentinas hot sauce in huge bottles too for cheap. The puya peppers they use have a interesting flavor. A 34oz bottle is like $3. When it comes to cayenne pepper based sauce i really prefer Crystals to Franks. Its also dirt cheap. I do love some hot wings made with Franks though.
:lewis: :dance2:
I use it on hamburgers to. and fish, oysters, clams, and quahaugs, all great when spiced up!

Palo Alto Fire Fighters pepper sauce.
Started by fire fighter Lee Taylor in the backyard of the fire house in 1944.
This is my favorite.

Franks is around 450 scoville rating. I grow red bell peppers that are hotter. :D The thing i dont care for though is the 190mg of sodium per tsp. Pex and Lola's are 0-10mg. The super cheap Valentina is 64mg per tsp and a 34oz bottle is around $3 just about anywhere.

I am a hot sauce wimp compared to you all. Anything beyond medium-hot stews my innards and dissolves my brain.
I was with friends at a Thai restaurant that had several containers on the table with hot peppers. The server recommended that we don't try the Thai peppers in fish oil. One of our group decided to take that recommendation as a challenge. The Thai pepper in fish oil destroyed him! He was unable to have dinner with us.

Thats called Nam Pla Prik. Its often birds eye chiles in fish sauce. Very much an acquired taste but a common dipping condiment throughout Thailand. Another popular sauce in that region is sweet chile sauce. Its MUCH milder and very sweet. I love Thai food but not a huge fan of Nam Pla dipping sauce. Its ok with some stuff.

A Very good one if you like mild is The Ginger People Sweet Ginger Chile Sauce. Very low sodium and a real nice ginger bite to it.
https://gingerpeople.com/products/sweet-ginger-chili-sauce/
Tabasco Sweet and Spicy is also pretty good and its very mild.
https://www.tabasco.com/hot-sauces/sweet-spicy-sauce/

I am a hot sauce wimp compared to you all. Anything beyond medium-hot stews my innards and dissolves my brain.
I was with friends at a Thai restaurant that had several containers on the table with hot peppers. The server recommended that we don't try the Thai peppers in fish oil. One of our group decided to take that recommendation as a challenge. The Thai pepper in fish oil destroyed him! He was unable to have dinner with us.
I guess he should give
He ought to try a tiny drop of REGRET. It's rated at 12 MILLION Scovilles!! My two boys challenged each other in The Hot Sauce Challenge using the Carolina Reaper that is ONLY 350,000 Scovilles. Using the end of a toothpick they both "lit the fire", the result being extreme mouth pain so intense they could not even speak or eat. My youngest son considered a hospital visit. Messing with these volcanic hot sauces is serious and can be dangerous.

That is an extract. A Carolina Reaper can hit 1.8mil SHU or maybe more on occasion. I have a scorpion sauce here rated at 500k SHU and it is brutal. My own super hot mash i fermented for a year seems to be as hot. Extract sauces have a off flavor to me. Sort of metallic for lack of a better description.
a6EUJCY.jpg

There are plenty of top shelf super hot sauces out there that dont use extracts to increase the SHU. High Rivers, Pex Peppers and Burns&McCoy just to name a few.

My personal favorite SUPER hot sauce is Exhorresco by Burns and McCoy. Wonderful sauce if you can take the heat. Its based on the 7 Pot Primo pepper.
https://burnsandmccoy.com/products/exhorresco-dread-7-pot-primo-hot-sauce
High Rivers Rogue is another really good one but much milder. Its still pretty hot though. Awesome flavor.
https://highriversauces.com/rouge/
I really love hot sauce.
kKBExKd.jpg

WOW! 530.00 SCOVILL UNITS! that is a DEATH SENTICE.!!! who in there right mind would ingest ant thin that deadly? you might as well drink battery acid!!

I would be remiss if i didn't include an Amazon top-seller!20211225_084510.jpg

Latest posts

Back