black horn prices out of control!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefly

Reaction score
man went to bass pro today so of course i go to the very limited bp section at the one near me and almost pooped myself!! when i first bought bh it was 25.99 next was 29.99 then went to 32.99 wich was the last time i had bought any, well today they want 44.99!!! for a 10 oz can!! well i guess after i shoot up what i have i guess it will be trip seven for me cause i sure aint payin that price! unless it comes way down or i get a super sale or somethin.

Its a rip off.
24$ a can its competitive price wise with 777 around here and you can get it for 24$ a can from here also
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
if you buy a case it adds 2 dollars a can for the Hazmat[an other rip off]
But the wholesale price has actually gone down a dollar.

Yes--the only way to get it IMO is over the internet. Screw BassPro and Cabela's and their pricing. You have to pay the HazMat fee, but I get 5 or 6 containers at a time and it spreads the cost out a little to keep it under $30 a can. BH209 shoots so well in my Omegas that I won't go back to 777. I just wish another company would come up with something similar to BH209 and get a little competition and price war going... After the price of my licenses, gas, motels, etc. the cost of BH209 for my shooting and hunting is pretty small. At least that's what I keep telling myself.... :roll:

Black Mag XP / Black Dot

Black Mag Industries makes Black Mag XP. Its similar to BH209 but is easier to ignite and cleans with water. They have made an agreement with Alliant Powder to produce it. It will be called Black Dot. It should be on the shelves of Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's in mid June, but that probably means mid July or August.

I made Bass Pro price match Cabelas at $29.00. Just print the page off Cabelas website showing $29.99 and show it to a manager at Bass Pro Shops when you check out. Bass Pro wanted $44.95 a jug!!!

I ordered 6 cans from powder valley 2 yrs ago and I think it was $160 total cost to my door(may have been a little more but not much)I'm hoping those last me a couple years anyway.May go ahead and order more if powder valley can still sell it fairly reasonable.Just hoping the shelf life with this stuff is as good as they say!!!Its kept sealed in its bottle in my safe with a golden rod,so I hope i'm ok with protecting my "investment"

I guess im lucky. My local gun shop's everyday price for BH209 is $27.99 and Cabelas occasionally has it for $24.99 a bottle.

The ONLY business BP gets from me is on the clearance rack i check once a month. They are WAY over priced on almost all muzzle loader items.

Bass Pro Shop sucks. I buy nothing there anymore. They never have what Im looking for. If they do, its way over priced. Cabelas has way better deals. Buy your BH209 from www.powdervalleyinc.com and dont even look at the way over priced Bass Pro.

jakesdad
Powder Valley price is 24$ they lowered it .99 cents since I got my last case.270 including hazmat and shipping. That's 27$ a can, it is expensive but I value my time to and I have better things to do than clean crud ring out of my gun every shot.

The last time i looked it was going for 39.00 a can here , thats why i went to using 777 a year ago . just not worth the $$$$$$$$$ to me . 777 is 21.00 for a lb at Wal Mart . I also get the tightest group ever with 777 and the .25 acp conversion . I have plenty of brass , so the shortage of .25 acp brass will not effect me . :D

horsefly

Here is the thing for myself.... BH is a very good poweder - even a great powder, but for me it comes down to economics... And as you all know when it comes to economics you can spin the stary anyway you want it to - to mkae yourself feel good.... Shoot the Government does it all the time....

If you purchase it the way way Lee suggest's - buy a case of powder at a time from powder Valley - you can get it for $27 a bottle and I believe Lee has computed shipping into that number as well as Hazmat.

So doing the simple math that makes BH worth $2.70 an ounce...

I purchase T7 here locally for $22.00 a bottle, If I were to purchase it on line from Powder Valley it would be $19.00/ bottle + Shipping + Hazmat... but:

locally the simple math works out like this.... $22/16= $1.31 per ounce

I think I shoot a lot, not near as much as some but more than others, If I had to pay the per shot difference it would add up in a hurry.

All the incovieninces of T7 are not that big a deal for me - they are not even inconvienent they are a part of my routine.

Then to add a bit more... the REAL BP shooters out there are saying I am nuts for shooting T7 when I could be shooting real BP at even a greater savings and the gun would still go boom and the bullet would still go down range.

But, as long as T7 is about 1/2 the price of BH (or greater) and it is available - think I will keep on shooting it.

sax

U sure you didn't mean $15 a nbottle? $5 I would have gone into my savings to buy it all and put my beloved BH209 away> also look for a personal message from me my friend.

Sax

And see i was really hoping that enough people would convert to BH and cause Hodg to reduce the price of T7 so they could compete - but so far that has not happened.... We, T7 shooters, really need more people to buy BH....

ive gone through almost 8 cans of bh209 in almost 2 months. Its worth every penny. I rarely have trouble finding an accurate hunting load. With other subs i could go through half a can or even a full can and my accuracy would still be "iffy"

blackhorn209 for me has simply been the most accurate powder ive ever used and load development hasnt been hard to find. All of my rifles love 100gr bh209 with a 245-295-338- powerbelt or 100gr bh209 with the Thor.

But, as long as T7 is about 1/2 the price of BH (or greater) and it is available - think I will keep on shooting it.

What Sabotloader said. 777 is not my favorite powder but it is very consistent, very powerful and does a good job.

Judging from what i have read, BlackHorn is most likely the best muzzleloader powder out there. However, i'm not going to pay that kind of money for any kind of powder, no matter how good it is.

Every year i shoot up about 10 pounds of powder at targets, kill a few deer and a lot of hogs with powder that works well for me. Pyrodex, 777, JSG and Pinnacle have all done a good job for me.

In our storm shelter are 15-20 cans of Pyrodex that cost from $5-9 per can and quite a few cans of 777 bought on sale at China Outlets. There are also two new cases of Pinnacle. Won't be buying any BlackHorn.

frontier gander said:
ive gone through almost 8 cans of bh209 in almost 2 months. Its worth every penny. I rarely have trouble finding an accurate hunting load. With other subs i could go through half a can or even a full can and my accuracy would still be "iffy"

blackhorn209 for me has simply been the most accurate powder ive ever used and load development hasnt been hard to find. All of my rifles love 100gr bh209 with a 245-295-338- powerbelt or 100gr bh209 with the Thor.

Ive gone through about the same amount and the 8 bottles i bought on sale are about gone now.

IMO it is a bit easier to find a combination that i like using BH209 and MUCH easier at the pay range when cleaning time still counts towards the totally range time. I guess it not that bad though since i do allow roughly a 3 minute cool down when possible and i could be swabbing if i was using T7.

I just bought some T7 and another bottle of BH209 a week or so ago. After using the ME bore products for over a month and stopped using Remoil, it will be interesting to see how it effects the crud ring i hated so much with T7.

Back