Lyman 54 Cal Sidelock? Value?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ended up with a 54 Cal Lyman sidelock the other day. It has a 28 or so inch octagon barrel. It's got a few issues, the main being rust corrosion inside & outside the barrel. The rest of the gun,stock,trigger(set), & lockwork is fairly decent. The trigger and internals look very good. It is around 1970's vintage as far as I can tell. It was on a camp wall the last 15+ years or so. It also has the compartment in the stock.

I see the price of new ones & also see that Lyman sells replacement barrels, about $160. I'd have to see if a current barrel would fit. The current barrel may not be totally trashed. I was planning on trying a Kroil/JB Bore cleaner combination. I have some rust remover, that also removes bluing.

Any Lyman fans have any input? What is the chance a current manufactured barrel will fit? I suppose you could even move over to a 50 cal barrel? So far I just broke it down pretty good & started cleaning it up,oil,kroil, & a few other things.

O.K., now I see Midway & others sell Lyman barrels too. Before I bought one I think I would ask the company what fits. Also the idea of going to a 50 cal would be appealing. I think if I was to do a new barrel the rest could be salvaged. The current barrel will never look new again.

It seems to be a Lyman "Trade Rifle" model. The trim all matches up, but it does have the set trigger.

muskrat all you could do is order a new barrel and try it. If it did not fit, ship it back for a refund. I suspect it will fit. But I could not say this with 100% certainty.

You might be surprised how well the thing shoots after you clean it up. Another concern is can air pass through the bolster/drum of the nipple. You might need a new nipple also.

That JB Bore paste is some good stuff. Keep us posted as to how the project goes.

Latest posts

Back