Finally got to shoot my new Accura, not impressed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
I finally got to take my new Accura to the range and I'm not sure what happened but I'm not impressed with its accurancy. But I only shot 11 times, 3 w/90gr, 3 w/95gr, and 3 w/100gr of JSG and 2 w/95gr of Triple 7. I was shooting .45cal 300gr XTP w/Crush Rib sabots and T7 primers and topped with a Leupold 3X9X40 Rifleman scope and shooting off of a Lead Sled Solo rest. I did't even bother measure the spred because it was approx 3-4". The JSG I bought last weekend and I think it was several years old. It was covered with dust but it was sealed. I get back out and try again soon. I'm going to fix me a "mini-range" that I can shoot about 65 yards behind my house and once I get the group tighter I go over to the 100yrd range. Heres a pic of my rifle if I can get it to upload.
002.jpg

My Accura did real well 90g Blackhorn 209 and 250g XTPs in a MMP black sabot with W209 primers. Shot a ragged hole at 50 yards first trip out. I would probaly switch to BH209 and a tighter sabot. I guess its a trial and error. Good Luck.

My guess is the sabot you used is the reason for less than stellar accuracy. You could try a tighter fitting sabot like the harvester 'smooth' sabot instead.

That's a very nice setup you have. I think with some trial and error you will find that sweet spot and be extemely happy with your purchase. I've never used JSG and from what I've read, it could be hit or miss on performance and accuracy. I would get some Pyrodex, Triple 7, or BlackHorn 209 powder. All three of these powders are consistent performers.
I have used the crush rib sabots and they did not work at all with the bullet I used. They fit way to loose and accuracy was not good. If yours also loaded with very little pressure all the way down the bore, then I would try some of Harvestors regular black sabots or MMPs sabots, none of the e-z load variety.

Guys I'm limited when it comes to powder choices because of funds. I'm on total disability due to multiple back (5) surgeries and both hips totally replaced. All of this done in the last 8 years so with thr Dr., hospital bills and everything else that goes along with these problems I really have to watch my funds. The hasmat fee has me limited to powder in stock and I'm in an area that bp shooting is not big.I just went yesterday for another MRI for problems in my neck and shoulder which may add to my accuracy problems. Thats the reason I bought the Lead Sled.One thing I notice with the barrel is when you run a fresh patch down the barrel theres a tear/hole on the side when you bring it back out. Its like theres a sharp edge on one of the rifling lands. I've checked the mounts and they are tight, unless its the scope? :cry: :cry:

90gr APP with 295gr powerbelt @ 100 yards.
000_1165.jpg

JSG needs a much heavier bullet like the 338 Platinum. JSG will spread them all over with the 295s

Do the crush ribs load fairly easy? If they do, thats a problem, my Accura and in fact all of my cva's prefer the mmp-12 sabot, which is a very firm loading combo. I know with the 300gr xtp mag i use the 12 sabot with 110gr pyrodex and that baby would put them through a nickle size hole.

That Accura will shoot excellent once you work on load development. If you need a package of the 338gr powerbelts to try out, i'd be more than happy to help you out with that.

Also if theres a tear on a patch, wrap some oiled steelwool around the cleaning jag and do about 30-50 strokes. Oil the barrel good afterward.

You'll Git'r figured out.

I used APP for a couple of years several times I got a bad can that just would not shoot consistant no matter what I did, when I got a good can it would shoot decent when I got a bad can it would shoot 4 inches or a bit better. When I got two bad cans in a row I gave up on APP what a waste of money.
It could also be the sabot it should take both hand to load, most Accura's take a MMP 12 for best results which is slightly thicker than a standard a Crush Rib is one of the very thinnest I would consider trying some other sabots. E-mail me and give me some info on how your load loaded and I will send you a few other sabots to try. Try pryrodex next time it is very dependable and available all over.

The Crush Rib sabots did go down the barrel with hardly any preasure. I have some of the smooth Harverster sabot and will give tem a try. I ran out of time the first outing so I didn't get to try them or I didn't get to try some 300gr FPBs either. Thanks.

john i'd call harvester and get some free samples from them. Im pretty sure it will like the mmp12 sabots though. You might not :lol: but the rifle should shoot them very well.

I sold a buddy a .243 rifle that was a MOA shooter with many groups at 1/2". He called me and said he was only able to get the rifle to shoot 3" to 4" groups. We met at the range and I immediately saw the problem. His Leupold Rifleman scope was so far out of parallax at 100 yards I'm surprised he was able to shoot 3-4" groups.

Next time out...after your Accura is sucured on target, with your eye the proper distance for the eye piece of the scope, move your head slightly side to side and up and down. If the cross hairs move off the bulleye...the parallax on your scope is off. If it only moves a 1/2" off target...not a really big problem, however, if it's moving 2" off target...well then it's a problem.

Something to check anyway...good luck.

I just ordered some Harvester smooth sabots for .45 caliber bullets (less than 300 grain) from Mid South Shooters Supply. They are under $5.00 for a pack of 50. I can load the crushed rib sabot / bullet with one finger in my Encore w/ Bergara barrel which can be good and bad. The smooth sabots definitely have more resistance but you do not need a sledge hammer to get them seated. It's a nice constant push and you do not need a bullet starter. I am hitting the range next week to try the smooth sabots out with 260 and 300 grain Harvester PT's. I have a good feeling that they are going to give me tighter groups then the crushed ribs.

Try 80 grains of Triple 7 to start then go to 90grains. In my CVA Magbolt I shot 90 grains of Triple 7 2F with green crushed rib sabots and 240 grain .44 cal XTP's. Just swab between shots. This combo loaded and shot great. I got the same 100yd accuracy with 80 and 90 grains of powder.

I've got a CVA Kodiak in .50 that shoots the .44/.50 green crush ribs real well with 300gr .44 XTPs but I'm out of those right now. I ordered the .45 300gr XTPs thinking that the less plastic between the bullet and the barrel the more accurate. I've got to make an order to Cabelas but I just hate to order stuff that I won't use if the rifle won't shoot it. Thanks for all of the advice, it is much appreciated!

The Crush Rib sabots did go down the barrel with hardly any preasure.

JSG likes a tight sabot seated very hard on the powder. Put a furniture ball or golf ball on the ramrod and lean on it with both hands. When you feel the powder compress you've done it right.

johnpb said:
I've got a CVA Kodiak in .50 that shoots the .44/.50 green crush ribs real well with 300gr .44 XTPs but I'm out of those right now. I ordered the .45 300gr XTPs thinking that the less plastic between the bullet and the barrel the more accurate. I've got to make an order to Cabelas but I just hate to order stuff that I won't use if the rifle won't shoot it. Thanks for all of the advice, it is much appreciated!

A good deal of kodiaks have .498" bores, the new Accuras are in the .500-.501" So that would explain why the Accura didnt like them.

johnpb

Off the top gotta tell you I know nothing about the Accura... but, FG indicates the bore to be... .500-.501" -> if that is the case the MMP HPH-12 should be a real bear to get down the bore - there really is no need to fight a sabot that much. I would suggest that the MMP HPH-24 might be the better choice for that bore. Even the regular smooth Harvester either short black or the long black.

If you look on the thread you will see the approximate sizes of a loaded sabot...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9798

You can see the HPH-12 is intended for the larger bore diameters of .504-.505. The 24 on the other hand is ideal for .501 - .503 bores. I use MMP HPH-12's in my White with a 504 bore but in all my other inlines the 24 really works the best.

I tried those crushed rib sabots in my accura and they did fit very loose. Went to the MMP HPH-24 sabots with those xtp bullets and this gun will flat out shoot. You will get her figured out and be very pleased with the accuracy of that rifle

ronlaughlin said:
My guess is the sabot you used is the reason for less than stellar accuracy. You could try a tighter fitting sabot like the harvester 'smooth' sabot instead.

Ditto !!

My sons cva barrel needed thicker sabots than either my TC Encore or his new Omega i have not had good luck shooting the CR sabots in any of the muzzle loaders we have had .

Latest posts

Back