h&r sidekick ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ds541

Reaction score
anyone know if or where you can get a new brechplug for the sidekick,my friend just had one given to him and it takes a primer disk to hold the primers inplace.just trying to find a aftermarket brechplug that does'nt need the primer disk.

do a search for metrics unlimited they make the breech plug and it's a big step up from the original..karl

ds541 said:
anyone know if or where you can get a new brechplug for the sidekick,my friend just had one given to him and it takes a primer disk to hold the primers inplace.just trying to find a aftermarket brechplug that does'nt need the primer disk.

Call 1-800-638-7986, ask for Nick, or e-mail [email protected]

If you are near Warren, MI you could stop in and pick one up in person M-F. Tell 'em Busta sent you, they probably won't charge you too much more than regular price. :lol: I have met Nick and Bob in person, good guys to deal with. Since you said H&R Sidekick, I presume you have the 5/8" breech plug? They have both the 5/8" and 7/8" carrierless breech plugs.

5/8" MU Breech Plug, the latest batch has a deeper hex head than the one in this old pic. I have one of the new ones, but can't find a pic of it at the moment.
013.jpg

Metrics Unlimited, Inc.
6709 Chicago Road
Warren, MI 48092

thanks for the info guys,i'm posting this for a hunting buddy whos newer at m/l hunting than i am the m/l was given to him and we are trying to get it up to speed.now how about a ram rod for the thing?

About two years ago I bought a ram rod from;

Hubbard's Outdoor Products
7926 Hwy 155
Montevallo, Alabama 35115
205-665-0444 or 1-800-236-7486
[email protected]

It was $35 at the time. IMO, it is much better than the factory one.

I bought a used Huntsman some time ago and at that time bought the stock breechplug (now that the MU plug is available the stock one is useless). I also bought the Hubbard rod which is much better than the stock rod and extends two inches longer than the stock one when extended besides having the correct threads for accessories which the stock one does not and the end is relieved for pointed bullets which the stock one is not. Go with the Hubbard rod!!!!

By the way your friend just bought one of the best muzzleloaders available regardless of price. I have several much more expensive ones and the Huntsman (basically the same as the Sidekick) is one of my favorites.

ds541 said:

If your buddy gets Nick's breech plug, and the Hubbard rod, you are good to go!

You could also tell him to try 80 gr of Blackhorn 209 powder,Federal 209A primers, and the Hornady FPB...Very accurate set up..Works well for me anyway...

duckaroni said:
ds541 said:

If your buddy gets Nick's breech plug, and the Hubbard rod, you are good to go!

You could also tell him to try 80 gr of Blackhorn 209 powder,Federal 209A primers, and the Hornady FPB...Very accurate set up..Works well for me anyway...

That load works well for me too, with just about any primer in the MU Plug.

016.jpg

i'll pass along the info on the powder and primer combo he has all the other info in-hand and will contact both partys soon (hubbards &um)and again thanks for your help, he was told by the guy that gave him the ml that the breech plug and ram rod could not be changed. thats why he gave it away.

Back