Latest range adventure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankhead

Reaction score
I wish I could say I shot the ML. :oops: Why does my primer stick to the BP? I shot 1 primer and I was done for the day. All I had was the plastic decapper that came with the ML. I looked for a metal one at local gun shops this week but none. It was doing it some last week too. I've shot about 75 shots since getting this ML and tried Hoppe's #9, Sweets 7.62, Butch's Bore Shine, and Coca Cola. I let it soak overnite w/ all of em too. It's seems there is still residue right at the rim where the fire channel starts and the primer sits. The nipple pick works fine but it seems there is still residue in there. And I had even put on teflon tape due to having blow-back on my scope from last week.

At least the day wasn't a total waste. I took the 44mag and 300 win mag. And yes this is their first time ever being shot. Damn, that 44mag bites!

But at least I got my rifle sighted in. I did the 1 shot, clean, 1 shot clean,.. for 5 shots. 3 shots, clean, 3 shots, clean for 15 shots. I just shot 14 total shots though. The ones over the bullseye was my last 3 shot session.

I got some suggestions after my last session to use a rifle rest. I looked locally but couldn't find anything. So I made my own. They work good for the rifle. Anxious to use em on the ML.

Here's a pic of yesterday's injury. Damn that 44mag. Shot 20 rounds.

Primer

What you probably have is some carbon build up in your BP fire channel. Take a drill bit of the proper size and drill out the channel by hand!! Do not use an electric drill. Get a drill bit that fits the hole and turn it in slowly by hand. You will be surprised as to how much carbon you may have in there. Your primers should come out easier after you do this. If you have a TC the drill bit will be 1/8".

Good luck

I've seen them doing that in doing searches but just forgot it when cleaning the BP. Thanks. Another tool to go w/ all the others needed. :lol:

Primers

You sure are welcome. As you progres into ML shooting you will find there are a lot of tools you will need. My range box now has almost as many gadgets as my carpentry box. Some I will probably never need but bought while browsing in my local gun shop and some from online purchases. Never know what you need until you need it and don't have it!

i know that mark well. My dad has a Ruger super redhawk 44 mag and it leaves that same mark. We reloaded some lighter charges for it and it now it groups damn good and the recoil doesnt make you want to throw up.

Am I reading your post correct - you are putting teflon tape around your primer and then putting it in the primer pocket?

I've got one of those plastic de-primers too and they are not very good. I have a metal one from Traditions that works great but I only have to use that on my old Buckhunter rifle that has the plunger/striker type of action.

You might want to buy another BP and try that out to see if you have the same problems. I've got an extra BP for all the muzzleloaders, you never know when it will come in handy.

Come on now, give me little more credit. No, I put it on the BP. I know 'm gonna order another BP too when I order the de-primer. I can usually count on MidwayUSA to get here before next weekend when I order the weekend before.

Ya, I'll be sure and get some 44 specials next time out to the gun shop. :lol:

Ok, thats what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. You were talking about your primer pocket and residue then you stated how you had even put teflon tape on it. I was confused (doesn't take much anymore), I was wondering how putting teflon tape on your breech plug could help with blow back. Blow back on your scope is most likely coming from the crud escaping around your primer.

I used the Gorilla Grease only the last time I shot and got black all the way across the threads of the BP. I noticed very little around the inside of the primer pocket itself. Mostly all of it was around the rim of the channel. I'm sure the teflon tape will take care of the threads though. And I used just a little Gorilla Grease on the first few threads of tape this time.

The metal de primer tool I got from CVA and they work great. Them plastic ones are junk. As for the build up in the breech plug, what kind of powder are you shooting? I have shot hundreds of rounds out of a breech plug and never had to clean them out with a drill. The only time I had bp problems was when I was shooting BlackHorn 209. I clean the inside of my breech plug with Q tips. I dip them in a strong solvent and usually that will come right out, as I twist them around.

I have a Ruger Redhawk and shoot full bore loads all the time. You were really getting kicked there to get that mark. 20 rounds is a lot out of a Ruger Redhawk. Have you ever shot a deer with it? It will really put them down. I have taken a couple of them with mine. I kind of wish I had it along with me today. I was out walking in my woods and came across a young (last year's cub) black bear. We were about 50 yards apart. We stood there looking at each other for I bet 20 seconds before it finally left. I even yelled at it and it just stood its ground. Really creeped me out.

The metal de primer tool I got from CVA and they work great. Them plastic ones are junk. As for the build up in the breech plug, what kind of powder are you shooting? I have shot hundreds of rounds out of a breech plug and never had to clean them out with a drill. The only time I had bp problems was when I was shooting BlackHorn 209. I clean the inside of my breech plug with Q tips. I dip them in a strong solvent and usually that will come right out, as I twist them around.

I have a Ruger Redhawk and shoot full bore loads all the time. You were really getting kicked there to get that mark. 20 rounds is a lot out of a Ruger Redhawk. Have you ever shot a deer with it? It will really put them down. I have taken a couple of them with mine. I kind of wish I had it along with me today. I was out walking in my woods and came across a young (last year's cub) black bear. We were about 50 yards apart. We stood there looking at each other for I bet 20 seconds before it finally left. I even yelled at it and it just stood its ground. Really creeped me out.

Exclusively used the Triple7 FFG. I just wanted to be sure any solvents I've used are OK. But I'm just gonna stick with the Hoppe's or Butch's when I soak it in a pill bottle.

Na, this 4" is not good for much range. If you notice the first target the 44's couldn't even make it on paper most the time. Most of the middle ones are from 15 yards. Most shots taken from 20 - 25 yards. :eek:

I thought a non-petroleum based cleaner was used to clean a rifle after shooting T7. When I shot Pyrodex, I used TC no. 13 bore cleaner which is a non-petroleum based cleaner and most of the crud wiped right off with little effort. A little scrubbing on the BP was needed and when I was done, the BP sparkled like brand new. The only powder I can think of where they recommend a petroleum based solvent, like Hoppe's, is Blackhorn 209. I've never tried it, but I think I remember reading where if you clean T7 residue with Hoppe's, it will make a gunky mess, and the next time you shoot , the petroleum residue left over from cleaning will become a hard baked on crud that is difficult to remove.

Primer

I agree. If you are not using BH209 do n ot use Hoppe's #9. It just creates a mess using T7 or others like it. Just use warm soapy water to clean your gun and make sure you dry it real good.

Re: Primer

rogo said:
I agree. If you are not using BH209 do n ot use Hoppe's #9. It just creates a mess using T7 or others like it. Just use warm soapy water to clean your gun and make sure you dry it real good.

From my limited use of T7 pellets, i totally agree. Whatever water based cleaner you prefer works. Hoppes is almost exclusively for BH209 in a muzzleloader.

A few drops of simple green concentrate and Windex seems to work fine with all the T7 type powders. Add some nearly pure rubbing alcohol if you want a bit faster drying time.

I usually just used good old soap and water in a bucket. Submerge the muzzle in the bucket of hot soapy water and run a few patches from the breach. I prefer to use this method only with a stainless gun and the bore is spotless in minutes.

Im sold on the Montana Extreme bore conditioner for a final coating. Ive even shot mine without removing it and POI is very close to a swabbed then primer fouled bore.

BTW the bore conditioner does seem to make cleanup easier and lessens the crud ring. I shot some T7 loose with WinT7 primers this weekend and it wasnt nearly as bad as when i tried T7 pellets. Giving the bore a good polish first seems to help too. I want to try the Montana Copper Cream sometime now. :D Its even milder than JB bore shine or their other bore shines.

Scott

Okay I got another BP and the CVA metal decapper tool on the way. Nice price on the decapper too. Should be here by the weekend. Anxious to get this rifle and scope sighted in. I guess I'll just use some warm soapy water to keep this one clean. Thanks! :)

Tankhead said:
Okay I got another BP and the CVA metal decapper tool on the way. Nice price on the decapper too. Should be here by the weekend. Anxious to get this rifle and scope sighted in. I guess I'll just use some warm soapy water to keep this one clean. Thanks! :)

Yeah i would just use hot soapy water to clean anything but BH209. Cheap, fast and works great in the tub and bucket.

I prefer Dawn. :p

Back